2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Skyjacker 501 kit install questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 09:36 AM
InfO
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skyjacker 501 kit install questions

So,

As I install this kit, which I'm taking my time to do, I figured I'd put up a thread where I can ask questions as I go along rather than putting them all in individual threads.

With that in mind, some of the last ones:

Wheels : https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ng-wheels.html

Leaf Springs : https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...eye-bolts.html

So for those that have installed this, how did you install the bump stop for the rear axle? The old one was bolted on, the new one does not look like it bolts on at all. Here are some pictures:

InfO.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:26 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Wonder if you need to modify the factory bracket.... didn't come with one did it?

Old 09-28-2013, 10:39 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you get 4 of those?

That one is for the front. Front ones are inserted to the existing bracket. You can pull out with pliers, good pull and twist. Insert new ones and if you're heavy with the soft SJ springs you can bounce the front down to push in. That will still only be part way. So get a spacer like a 4x4 or 2x4 etc. Put jack on front bumper to raise it enough to get bumpstop in while spacer is sitting on the axle pad. Bring truck down to compress the bumpstop in.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:59 AM
InfO
Veteran

Hmmm.... ****e.

I don't see other ones in the box... or any other box. ****.

I'll have to look a little more.

Right now I'm about to bolt in the new leafs, lift the axle and put on the new shocks.

Thanks for that info though... now I might have to see about ordering new ones as the old ones are beaten, plus all four bolts snapped taking them off.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:25 AM
InfO
Veteran

Alright, leafs are in - though not tightened up. Not sure how tight the shackle to leaf bolt is supposed to be - I'll have to check my manual - it seems to sit at the angle it needs, so I'm assuming it's GTG once the two bolts are in (frame to leaf and frame to shackle).

Here is a picture - I had to put the axle on the ground once the new leaf was sitting in place. No way I'd get the block on when it was up on jacks.

InfO.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:48 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The ubolts can be tqed now, the rest of the suspension bolts get tightened when the truck is sitting on the ground and the suspension has a load on it. You don't get new rear bumpstops with the kit, if you feel you need them longer space them out with a some square steel or whatever.

WN: There was no way I could bounce my truck like that with the Sj springs in it.

Last edited by merc225hp; 09-28-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:56 AM
InfO
Veteran

Merc,

Thanks for the info! We're just tightening the eye bolts to take up slack at the moment. Going to get another buddy to come over and hold the axle while we put it all together.

The block between the axle and leaf spring, it looks a LOT larger in the picture in the kit. Oh well, still using mine and I'll likely order new rear bumps as the ones I have are solid, cracked, and in general do not look so good. Thanks for letting me know the kit doesn't come with them though. Hope to have the rear axle all together in about 2 hours. More pictures to follow!

InfO.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:01 PM
merc225hp
Champion

Take your time getting that diff in and make sure you get it in straight, many think just put the pin in the hole but there is slop in there use a tape and make sure both sides are spot on. Measure form the diff to a spot on the frame for each side, I found I could be up to a 1/4 out either way.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:05 PM
InfO
Veteran

Originally Posted by merc225hp
Take your time getting that diff in and make sure you get it in straight, many think just put the pin in the hole but there is slop in there use a tape and make sure both sides are spot on. Measure form the diff to a spot on the frame for each side, I found I could be up to a 1/4 out either way.
That's good info to know about. I'll get it up and loosely into the ubolts so that I can then adjust it as required.

You mention putting a pin in the hole. Are you talking about the small bolt head on the leaf spring center that sits into the small recess on the block that sits on the axle?

I noticed that the leafs has an angled shim attached to the bottom. I know the wider end goes towards the rear. It also came with shims, but I think that was for the add a leaf. What it didn't come with was a plate that rests ontop of the leaf springs for the ubolts to sit into. I took the one off the old leaf packs.

InfO.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:19 PM
merc225hp
Champion

Originally Posted by InfO
That's good info to know about. I'll get it up and loosely into the ubolts so that I can then adjust it as required.

You mention putting a pin in the hole. Are you talking about the small bolt head on the leaf spring center that sits into the small recess on the block that sits on the axle?

I noticed that the leafs has an angled shim attached to the bottom. I know the wider end goes towards the rear. It also came with shims, but I think that was for the add a leaf. What it didn't come with was a plate that rests ontop of the leaf springs for the ubolts to sit into. I took the one off the old leaf packs.

InfO.
Thats what I did, not fun when working by yourself.

Yes sorry the leaf pack center bolt that goes into the block then into the diff pad.

Yep just use the old plates for the top of the springs.

Do you have the Sj pdf for this install? you can Dl it from there site. Look for Sj 501K-h pdf.

Leaving the bolts loose goes for the front end control arms as well, inner outer upper lower all of them (8) should be tightened once on the ground.

Quick Reply: Skyjacker 501 kit install questions