1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2002 Durango Lower Ball Joints and CV Axle

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 12:26 PM
lynnosler
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 2002 Durango Lower Ball Joints and CV Axle

I am seriously hoping that this is the last that I need to do to this vehicle, honestly, I am ready to jump ship and cut my losses! If you all have been following along, this Durango has been quite a problem child!

So now, I have to replace the right CV Axle and BOTH lower ball joints, I can't drive it at the moment because it isn't safe.

I have the parts in transit, SO, ANY advice on changing these parts would be great. So far, nothing on this thing has been easy, and I really can't afford a garage bill right now, so I have no choice but to do these myself.

What tools do I need to rent? What is the best easiest route to go about this and how much time am I looking at for this? Thanks.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:04 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lynnosler
I am seriously hoping that this is the last that I need to do to this vehicle, honestly, I am ready to jump ship and cut my losses! If you all have been following along, this Durango has been quite a problem child!

So now, I have to replace the right CV Axle and BOTH lower ball joints, I can't drive it at the moment because it isn't safe.

I have the parts in transit, SO, ANY advice on changing these parts would be great. So far, nothing on this thing has been easy, and I really can't afford a garage bill right now, so I have no choice but to do these myself.

What tools do I need to rent? What is the best easiest route to go about this and how much time am I looking at for this? Thanks.
Where in PA are you located? if your close i could lend you a hand with some tools.

The lower ball joints will need to be pressed out and the new ones pressed in. There are a few jerry rigged ways to do this without the tool but the easiest way is to get the tool. Like i said above if your close enough i could help you out with the tool or fire up my 12 ton press.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:24 PM
lynnosler
Rookie

Originally Posted by Old_School
Where in PA are you located? if your close i could lend you a hand with some tools.

The lower ball joints will need to be pressed out and the new ones pressed in. There are a few jerry rigged ways to do this without the tool but the easiest way is to get the tool. Like i said above if your close enough i could help you out with the tool or fire up my 12 ton press.

I live in Chambersburg, but I work in Carlisle. It can't be driven right now cause it is THAT bad! The boot on the CV is torn and the ball joints are as shot as shot can get I think. I was driving it, but I was forbidden to now till I get it fixed. I have the CV but ball joints won't be here till Tuesday.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:33 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker

I live in Chambersburg, but I work in Carlisle. It can't be driven right now cause it is THAT bad! The boot on the CV is torn and the ball joints are as shot as shot can get I think. I was driving it, but I was forbidden to now till I get it fixed. I have the CV but ball joints won't be here till Tuesday.
I am in york and i was gonna say if you can get it to my garage i could have it done in an hour or so because i have all the "special" tools along with air tools but, if you say its to bad to drive that makes it complicated. The quickest i could get to you would be Friday, that's if you have a place to safely work.

Old 09-29-2013, 02:44 PM
lynnosler
Rookie

How much would you charge me to fix it? I will take the chance and drive it there, but won't be till Saturday.

Old 09-29-2013, 03:41 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker

How much would you charge me to fix it? I will take the chance and drive it there, but won't be till Saturday.

I'll PM you.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:53 PM
PublicHair
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just rebuild the whole front end while you're in there. I spent $1,500 for new tires, shocks, tie rods, ball joints, cv joints, ect. Truck drives like a dream.

Better than a car payment (unless your durango just a spare vehicle)

Old 09-30-2013, 07:44 PM
lynnosler
Rookie

Originally Posted by PublicHair
I would just rebuild the whole front end while you're in there. I spent $1,500 for new tires, shocks, tie rods, ball joints, cv joints, ect. Truck drives like a dream.

Has new shocks, brakes, seals, and upper joints.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:35 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by PublicHair

tahts what I did with mine new shocks, (Monroe Sensatrac) Moog balljoints and outer tie rods, "national" left hub bearing. took the almost new tires off my son's ramcharger for now and put them on the Durango's wheels

Quick Reply: 2002 Durango Lower Ball Joints and CV Axle