3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

2010 Dodge Dakota SXT 4WD 4.7 L

Old 10-03-2013, 11:13 PM
billcostain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Dodge Dakota SXT 4WD 4.7 L

Last January I got a letter from Chrysler Canada, to recall my dakota. Apparently the rear pinion nut on the rear axle may may have been put on missing the coating on the nut. I waited six months, and on July 26, 2013 I took my vehicle in and the worked was performed. I took it in for eight am and I received a call at about noon time telling me that they had to keep it longer due to the mechanic having to get spec's on how to do the job. Wednesday October 2, 2013 I took it back into the dealership because of a prominent noise coming from the rear of the truck. After a couple of hours they phone me and inform me that the rear axle bearing is shot and it will cost fourteen hundred dollars to repair. As I'm not a mechanic I don't know if the recall work has anything to do with my newest problem. It just makes me wonder after only two months I have a major problem. I asked them at the pickup desk and I was informed that it was just coincidental. Does anyone have any thoughts. Bill

Last edited by billcostain; 10-05-2013 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Alll issues have been resolved
Old 10-04-2013, 07:39 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Welcome to DF! Please post your technical questions in the 3rd gen Dakota section. This section is for reporting issues and concerns with the Dodge Forum internet site.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:07 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome to Df. I moved this to the proper section. I'm not to familiar with the recall, but I'm sure someone will chime in that is. I'll also look into it once I'm not mobile and give my input.

Old 10-04-2013, 10:59 AM
kenttt
Professional

Depends what bearing that's bad.
If it's an axle bearing then it's not related to the pinion nut replacement.
But I can't see $1400 to replace an axle bearing.
If it's a pinion bearing then the nut may have been overtightened. But how to prove incompetence on their part?
If it's a differential carrier bearing(s) (not likely) then that's a different story.
I would take it somewhere else for a 2nd opinion.
I would be concerened about a shop that said "due to the mechanic having to get spec's on how to do the job."

Old 10-04-2013, 11:09 AM
billcostain
Cool 2010 Dodge Dakota SXT 4WD 4.7 L

2010 Dodge Dakota SXT 4WD 4.7 L
Last January I got a letter from Chrysler Canada, to recall my dakota. Apparently the rear pinion nut on the rear axle may may have been put on missing the coating on the nut. I waited six months, and on July 26, 2013 I took my vehicle in and the worked was performed. I took it in for eight am and I received a call at about noon time telling me that they had to keep it longer due to the mechanic having to get spec's on how to do the job. Wednesday October 2, 2013 I took it back into the dealership because of a prominent noise coming from the rear of the truck. After a couple of hours they phone me and inform me that the rear axle bearing is shot and it will cost fourteen hundred dollars to repair. As I'm not a mechanic I don't know if the recall work has anything to do with my newest problem. It just makes me wonder after only two months I have a major problem. I asked them at the pickup desk and I was informed that it was just coincidental. Does anyone have any thoughts. Bill

Attached Images
File Type: gif
icon1.gif (1.0 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by billcostain; 10-05-2013 at 10:36 AM. Reason: All issues have been resolved.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:52 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Billcostain,

I'm sorry to hear about the concerns with your Dakota. If you would like to PM me your VIN# and the name of your servicing dealer I'd be happy to review this with you.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:28 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Take DodgeCACares up on that...very helpful indeed.

Old 10-05-2013, 01:05 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I know the recall you speak of. Its for 2009 and 2010 trucks only. Got the same letter, and months later a follow-up.

Tried to take my Dakota in twice now. The first time shortly after the first letter (the letter that said I would be notified when parts were available), dealership said they had no parts and were waiting on them. Ok, story confirmed.

That was months ago. Got a 2nd letter from Chrysler corporate, stating that parts were available and insisting that I take it in. Tried to take it in again, dealership said they still had no parts, that they still were waiting on them. The service manager commented that they had not performed any of the that recall yet on any vehicles, as they have not received any parts.

I think my $tealership is trying to pull a fast one on me.

For yours, billcostain, I would definitely get a 2nd opinion and work with DodgeCACares.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:40 AM
billcostain

I have all issues with my 2010 Dakota resolved. I took it to my mechanic and it cost me $719.00 dollars. Chrysler dealership quoted me $1400.00 dollars. My mechanic informed me that Chrysler's job was done correctly and it turns out it was coincidental that the rear bearing went. I was pleased to hear that, now I don't have to buy a ford.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:41 AM
kenttt
Professional

Good to hear you got if fixed and it wasn't related to the recall.
BTW, which bearing was it that failed?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 Dodge Dakota SXT 4WD 4.7 L