1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

5 speed convertion

Old 10-07-2013, 12:32 PM
atthewmartin114
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 5 speed convertion

title says it all. let me know if anyone has done one 5.2 L nv3500 replace for 43re. i have the hole whip from the dakota so it should be plug and play right??

Old 10-07-2013, 04:26 PM
PublicHair
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope. Nice try tho.

I did the TCM conversion tho. But you're going to need way more than my $45 mod..

Old 10-08-2013, 01:12 AM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

The nv3500 was a 5spd manual not an auto PublicHair. I don't know if you will get a CEL with the trans unplugged.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:58 AM
RockGuardedDak
All Star

You will get all sorts of codes from the auto being missing. You will have to ground out your neutral safety switch wire, and you will be lucky if the motor runs right with all the codes it will throw. The only way around it is a manual PCM, maybe the TCM too, not sure if the manual trans had one or not. And you will want to get the proper wiring harness. The mod CAN be done, you will just need a donor Dakota as well as some money to program the PCM at the dealership. Time will be a huge factor too. You may get some gruff about putting a Dakota PCM into a Durango, but unless someone here has some input as to why not, I say, why not? Do it, and if it works, hell ya. If not, sell the PCM on Craigslist or something. As long as you get the PCM programmed for your BCM and everything, theoretically it should work right?

I speak out of theory on this subject. Anyone who has experience is free to prove me wrong

Old 10-08-2013, 10:51 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

It has been done, there are a few threads around here somewhere, and there is no TCM for the 5.2 and 5.9 trucks (for 98-00 at least).

Old 10-08-2013, 11:52 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'll contest to that, in fact I don't think any of the 46RE, 42RE, and 44-RE ever did have one because they are hydraulically controlled with limited electronics. The 545RFE and 45RFE are electrically controlled transmissions. I have personally disconnected my 8 pin connector on a 46RE and 47RE and guess what, no check engine light. Now you have to manually shift the trans and you don't get over drive, but it works for finding out if your problem is electronic or hydraulic which I stand behind 100%.

As for the OP's question: I think it's doable, however check your starter placement on the engine and ensure it's on the same side. Other then that you might have a length issue with your drive line, but I am unsure. Also check engine block bolt patterns.

By the way, 43RE was not installed in a Durango, and neither was a 47RE which I referenced as that is for a Ram. Your auto trans is either a 42, 44, or 46-RE.

Good luck and post pictures!

Old 10-08-2013, 12:26 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is doable. I cannot remember, but someone posted on this forum on their auto to manual conversion project using the NV3500 and loving it.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:38 PM
atthewmartin114
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok i have a 1998 dakota 5 speed 5.2 sport and i have a durango 5.2 slt the only differance i see is the lanth of the drive shafts and wiring but ill just use the pcm and whip from the dokota and see what happens. ill let everyone know when im done. thanks for the imput and info

Old 10-08-2013, 03:20 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
I'll contest to that, in fact I don't think any of the 46RE, 42RE, and 44-RE ever did have one because they are hydraulically controlled with limited electronics. The 545RFE and 45RFE are electrically controlled transmissions. I have personally disconnected my 8 pin connector on a 46RE and 47RE and guess what, no check engine light. Now you have to manually shift the trans and you don't get over drive, but it works for finding out if your problem is electronic or hydraulic which I stand behind 100%.
Ok, well as I said about the TCM in my original post, not sure if it even has one. I only know the newer ones, not the older ones, I guess I missed the year when I read the OP's post.

However, good luck to the OP. I hope to do this swap on my durango in time, but apparently, it's gunna be harder for me, than you

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5 speed convertion