1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Dropping the tranny

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 12:34 PM
AppelH
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dropping the tranny

Hey guys. I'm going to be dropping my transmission this weekend to deal with my flex plate issue. I looking for tips of the trade for doing this from people who have done it. I have read through the procedure in the manual. I was just thinking that people might have figured out some things after having done it a few times to make it a more efficient process, as we don't have an excess of time. Any special tools, or parts that tend to break that are good to have on hand, that kind of thing.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:19 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AppelH
Hey guys. I'm going to be dropping my transmission this weekend to deal with my flex plate issue. I looking for tips of the trade for doing this from people who have done it. I have read through the procedure in the manual. I was just thinking that people might have figured out some things after having done it a few times to make it a more efficient process, as we don't have an excess of time. Any special tools, or parts that tend to break that are good to have on hand, that kind of thing.

Your going to cuss alot and it will probably take you most of the weekend if not some of next as well....

A transmission jack is a must unless you enjoy the pain of dropping heavy things on body parts and breaking them.

Ok sir, here is how its done....

1) Take out the (3) engine to transmission bracket bolt's (5/8)
2) Remove the (4) bell housing bolts facing the back (9/16)
3) Remove the (2) inspection plate bolts.. (can't recall size but its metric)
4) Remove Oil Filter
5) Remove the (2) bolts facing towards the front about 1/2 way (5/8)
6) with a pry bar carefully wedge the transmission back a little. Inspection plate should then drop out.

Note: on mine i had a stud that comes out of the transmission that it used to bolt the bottom of the starter. i had to use a pair of tin snips to cut a bit of the place to allow it to clear that stud....

and wait till you get to removing the converter bolts off the flex plate!

here is a link to my whole rebuild thread ~~> https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...iy-w-pics.html

Last edited by Old_School; 11-01-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:03 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have found an EXTERNAL fluid filter. it goes in the fluid in line. the fluid in line is the fitting on the left rear of trany, i think, but double check. if you add and hard lines they must be steel brake lines, if you need hose be sure it is high pressure hose. your chrysler should have a 3/8 in steel tube. i think this filter will reduce the number of time you have to go into the filter inside the pan.

man o man i about forgot yes its a cut & past sorry. __________________
after you clean the trans. add this to your*chrysler*trans. an external fluid filter
1. go to auto-zone. get 2210, its called a power steering filter, but it is for transs to. it is for 3/8 tubing. by (magna-fine) be sure to use high pressure hose. Reff:http://www.magnafilter.com
2. for other sizes wix 58964 5/16 tube size

Old 11-01-2013, 11:03 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

It's been a while since I had mine off, but I believe you'll have to take off part of the transfer case shifter linkage too. Make sure you have line wrenches for the cooler lines and a big socket to go on the crankshaft pulley to turn the engine so you can get all of the bolts on the flex plate.

Old 11-02-2013, 12:43 AM
AppelH
Captain

Yeah we have a tranny jack. Did you have to move the exhaust on yours? I have already taken that cover off several times trying to figure out some things. I cut it so the top part above the starter can stay put and the bottom half can come out. What's the deal with the converter bolts?

Old 11-02-2013, 12:49 AM
that_guy
Champion

I'm pretty sure I ended up removing part of the exhaust.

Old 11-02-2013, 12:38 PM
AppelH
Captain

How did you get the top bellhousing bolt off? We can hardly even see it much less get to it

Old 11-02-2013, 01:35 PM
that_guy
Champion

I believe I used a 14mm ratcheting box wrench and reached down from the engine bay to it.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:45 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AppelH
How did you get the top bellhousing bolt off? We can hardly even see it much less get to it

Take the plastic inserts out of the fenders they will be right there... also have perfect access to the crankshaft sensor from the right side

Old 11-02-2013, 07:46 PM
AppelH
Captain

Wow. I wish I would have known that it would have simplified things quite a bit. We got it all done though, what a relief

Quick Reply: Dropping the tranny