4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:09 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Towing & Hauling Guides
Print Wikipost

2014 5th wheel/GN towing prep group ???

Old 11-08-2013, 10:15 PM
SUPRDUD
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 5th wheel/GN towing prep group ???

I'm looking at the "Build a Ram" site for a 2014 2500 4x4 5.7 Hemi.

Do any of you know what is added and included if you select the 5th wheel/gooseneck towing prep option?

Old 11-09-2013, 12:09 PM
LU229
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SUPRDUD
I'm looking at the "Build a Ram" site for a 2014 2500 4x4 5.7 Hemi.

Do any of you know what is added and included if you select the 5th wheel/gooseneck towing prep option?
You might be able to PM "dodgecares" (Katie or Lee) on the forums in here for that specific information. They can likely get that info for you.

Old 11-09-2013, 04:53 PM
SUPRDUD

Thanks. I will send them a message.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:36 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

The fifth wheel / gooseneck prep option includes a factory-installed rear structural cross member (included on every truck) and five holes in the bed for fifth wheel (four outer holes) and gooseneck (center hole) hitches. Plastic covers for the holes are provided. Also comes equipped with an additional 7-pin connector mounted inside the box.The center hole in cross member has a casting under it that accepts the gooseneck ball. The four outer holes have under bed mounting attachments mounted directly to the frame. All trucks have the brackets the attachments are mounted to.

For a truck equipped with the prep package, the following accessories are required from MOPAR for either a fifth wheel or gooseneck hitch ---
For fifth wheel, Part # 82213667, “Picture Frame” -- It consists of a bracket to adapt from common fifth wheel hitches to production mounting points on the truck and includes the captured quarter turn tie-downs that mate to the under bed mounting attachments. It is a rectangular tube steel frame with multiple mounting points for commonly available fifth wheel hitches with 22” rail spacing. This allows the customer to adapt a fifth wheel hitch, one they already own or a MOPAR hitch, to the factory installed prep kit.
For gooseneck, Part # 82213632 (2 5/16” Ball) or 82213631 (3” Ball). Kit includes gooseneck ball with a locking mechanism incorporated into base the of ball (image not 100% accurate) and two safety chain quarter turn tie-downs that fit into the rear outer holes in the bed. Entire kit contents are packaged in canvas bag with Ram's head logo.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:09 AM
SUPRDUD

Thanks. Yesterday a dealer's sales manager and I personally crawled underneath two new trucks on his lot and confirmed that. Putting in an aftermarket gooseneck ball may be very interesting unless it is made to be bolted to the cross member that is already installed on the trucks not equipped with the prep group. On a positive note, it is a very nice cross member to bolt something onto. Adding the factory castings for the prep group at a later time would likely include removing or at least raising the bed, according to my eyes and experiences, but so would adding an aftermarket setup.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:15 AM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
The fifth wheel / gooseneck prep option includes a factory-installed rear structural cross member (included on every truck) and five holes in the bed for fifth wheel (four outer holes) and gooseneck (center hole) hitches. Plastic covers for the holes are provided. Also comes equipped with an additional 7-pin connector mounted inside the box.The center hole in cross member has a casting under it that accepts the gooseneck ball. The four outer holes have under bed mounting attachments mounted directly to the frame. All trucks have the brackets the attachments are mounted to.

For a truck equipped with the prep package, the following accessories are required from MOPAR for either a fifth wheel or gooseneck hitch ---
For fifth wheel, Part # 82213667, “Picture Frame” -- It consists of a bracket to adapt from common fifth wheel hitches to production mounting points on the truck and includes the captured quarter turn tie-downs that mate to the under bed mounting attachments. It is a rectangular tube steel frame with multiple mounting points for commonly available fifth wheel hitches with 22” rail spacing. This allows the customer to adapt a fifth wheel hitch, one they already own or a MOPAR hitch, to the factory installed prep kit.
For gooseneck, Part # 82213632 (2 5/16” Ball) or 82213631 (3” Ball). Kit includes gooseneck ball with a locking mechanism incorporated into base the of ball (image not 100% accurate) and two safety chain quarter turn tie-downs that fit into the rear outer holes in the bed. Entire kit contents are packaged in canvas bag with Ram's head logo.
"All trucks have the brackets the attachments are mounted to."

Does this include ALL the 1500 truck models as well...???

Old 11-14-2013, 09:26 AM
SUPRDUD

I didn't crawl under any of those but I think it is only the 2500s, but I could be wrong!

Old 11-14-2013, 10:25 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

There are no vehicle provisions for attachment of either a Gooseneck or 5th Wheel Hitch on the 1500 from the factory.
Neither production or Mopar has designed/engineered/tested and released any frame mounted In-Bed towing components for 1500.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:47 AM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
There are no vehicle provisions for attachment of either a Gooseneck or 5th Wheel Hitch on the 1500 from the factory.
Neither production or Mopar has designed/engineered/tested and released any frame mounted In-Bed towing components for 1500.
Yeah thats what i thought. I couldnt imagine someone being dumb enough to try to pull a 5th wheel with a 1500.
But then again, a bunch of dumb people did elect OBOZO twice...lol.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:07 AM
SUPRDUD

Although a half ton pickup is not rated for really big loads, the trailer attachment point of either a fifth wheel or gooseneck is far superior to the rear bumper or receiver hitch. I have seen many half tons set up that way and it works very well as long as the trailer's load is within the limits of the truck. We therefore find the problem of a driver of a half ton mistakenly hooking onto a huge and heavy trailer just because they have a gooseneck ball ready to go. The manufacturer is smart not to sanction that driver's actions at all by making a half ton truck with those provisions.

By the way, Ram's own website and advertising brags about how big of a load the half ton pickup will handle and that you don't always need a heavier optioned truck to do the job!

I will refrain from political comments as I need to use all of the time I have left to figure out how to replace my recently canceled health insurance policy....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 5th wheel/GN towing prep group ???