1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

86 w150 318 V8 engine removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 12:05 AM
86Dodgeman
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 86 w150 318 V8 engine removal

I was working with my buddy(i am new to this so I enlisted a friend who is car savy) to pull my 318 out of my 86 ram w150 for a rebuild and when we tried hoisting the motor out it was binding up on the passenger side. We looked underneath and the fly wheel is BIGGER than the bell housing it needs to pass through to come out. The drivers side teeth of the fly wheel are already touching the bell housing and the pass side has a lip inside the housing that completely covers the teeth of the flywheel. I have no idea how to get it out. Am I missing something special I need to do? It's a manual so do I need to be in a certain gear? I don't even understand how they got it in as the trans shaft is still in the motor at this point so it is not like you can rock it back and forth to get around the lip inside the bell housing. Someone please help.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:48 PM
johnnyjaws98
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

put a jack under the trans with a piece of wood and jack up the trans a little it should cone out then

Old 11-24-2013, 11:46 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

after a few over hauls. i should have some ideas. but at the moment all i can think of is be sure and put brass soft plugs in. and take good care of the fly wheel bolts there are not off the shelf. but they should be available from chrysler. and do use anti-seize compound on ALL bolts on the bottom of the truck. and dont forget the exhaust system bolts.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:24 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

dodge trucks don't use fly wheels like other trucks. they use flex plate. there is 4 bolts holding the flex plate to the torque converter. sounds like you forgot to take the bolts out and are pulling the engine and torque converter which might be almost impossible.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:11 PM
beakerztoyz
Professional

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
dodge trucks don't use fly wheels like other trucks. they use flex plate. there is 4 bolts holding the flex plate to the torque converter. sounds like you forgot to take the bolts out and are pulling the engine and torque converter which might be almost impossible.
Crazywolf there is no tourque convertor in a truck with a manual transmission fairly sure there is a flywheel. (I believe in automatic's what i think of as the flywheel is actually as you said the flexplate and they are not the same thing but one is used in standards and the other in automatics)

Now Dodgerman, Lots of times it is a bear to get the 2 to split apart, after many motor swaps and many clutch jobs I try very hard if there is room to pull the motor straight forward until the motor and tranny seperate before lifting at all, drop it back down and try that everything has to be straight for it to want to come apart. You might like Jonyjaws said have to use a jack under the trans to accomplish this but in anycase you should have one under the trans to hold the front of it up. also I believe thier should be an inspection cover under the clutch.. you did take that off right? should be a few bolts

Last edited by beakerztoyz; 11-25-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:37 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i know that. i missed the part where he said it was a manual. now that i re read his post it sounds like the inspection cover was not removed.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:04 PM
johnnyjaws98
Veteran

sure u got all the bell housing bolts out?

Old 03-29-2016, 10:10 PM
86Dodgeman
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by beakerztoyz
Crazywolf there is no tourque convertor in a truck with a manual transmission fairly sure there is a flywheel. (I believe in automatic's what i think of as the flywheel is actually as you said the flexplate and they are not the same thing but one is used in standards and the other in automatics)

Now Dodgerman, Lots of times it is a bear to get the 2 to split apart, after many motor swaps and many clutch jobs I try very hard if there is room to pull the motor straight forward until the motor and tranny seperate before lifting at all, drop it back down and try that everything has to be straight for it to want to come apart. You might like Jonyjaws said have to use a jack under the trans to accomplish this but in anycase you should have one under the trans to hold the front of it up. also I believe thier should be an inspection cover under the clutch.. you did take that off right? should be a few bolts
Late reply but figured you would like to know. It has an 11 inch fly wheel with a 10 inch bell house opening. My bell house bolts that mount to the tranny are actually external and the bell house comes out with the motor. Once out you have to lift the bell house up and over the fly wheel. Once off you can see they built it with a groove cut in it to compensate for the bigger fly wheel.

Quick Reply: 86 w150 318 V8 engine removal