Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Grand Caravan sliding door won't close. Help!

Old 01-07-2013, 10:43 AM
rsjw1220
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grand Caravan sliding door won't close. Help!

My passenger side/sliding door will not close. It seems the lock is stuck in the locked postion and the door simply will not latch closed when I slide it forward. I just makes a loud bang like it's hitting the frame or something and then bounces back.

I've tried to engage/disengage the child lock. I've locked and unlocked the door a zillion times with the key fob and manual door lock switch. I've tried with the car on and off. In park and in drive (brake on). I've pulled it all the way open to reset the door and tried to close it fast, slow, medium speed...I've tried everything.

Any thoughts on how to fix this would be much appreciated. Can't use the van as the door will not close!

Thanks.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:24 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

sometimes you have to pry the latch back with something as you pull on the handle (2 person job). Year of van? Power doors?

Old 01-07-2013, 11:41 AM
rsjw1220

it's a 2003 and, yes, is a power door. Though that rarely, if ever, works. We always have to open and close it manually.

What latch do you mean? Location? Thanks.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:31 PM
newtocaravan

Well once you get the door latch working, the power door is just the wire harness at the bottom of door. Need to get your meter out and test continuity on the wire, or find the wire that is pinches.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:07 AM
Tizzy1
Champion

The latch is in the rear of the sliding door and is what holds it closed. Sometimes the latch gets closed when the door is open. When the latch gets some age on it, if you pull the release handle, the latch may not open, you would have to get in there with a screw driver or something to move it to the open position. Here is a location picture......

Old 11-29-2013, 07:08 PM
Shorts34

Has anyone solved this issue? I have a 2001 grand caravan with EXACTLY the same issue, down to the power door not working all the time, but I have had the issue of the latch being stuck closed on a Dakota I previously owned and I can cycle the latch on the van 100% fine, it's staying in the open position and will not close to keep the door shut, if I close it hard I get same metal sounding thunk and still no result???? Please help

Old 04-23-2014, 03:55 PM
dcorr

My wife called me this morning that our 2008 GCV drivers side slide door won’tstay closed. at lunch I went home to check on it, it will not work with the electronicmotor or manually. It seems that theonly thing keeping the door closed is the latch at the front of the door. The rearwon’t keep it closed or keep it locked in the open position. I can deal with the electronic motor notopening and closing the door but any help in getting the door to stay shutwould be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:31 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dcorr
My wife called me this morning that our 2008 GCV drivers side slide door won’tstay closed. at lunch I went home to check on it, it will not work with the electronicmotor or manually. It seems that theonly thing keeping the door closed is the latch at the front of the door. The rearwon’t keep it closed or keep it locked in the open position. I can deal with the electronic motor notopening and closing the door but any help in getting the door to stay shutwould be greatly appreciated.
dcorr,

I'm sorry to hear about your sliding door issue. Have you had a chance to examine the latch itself? In some cases debris can make its way into the latch system, causing some difficulty. Also, a cable connection issue may be present.

Have you had a chance to arrange a diagnosis?

Old 04-24-2014, 11:13 AM
Tizzy1
Champion

I have seen the rear latch getting closed while the door was open. Examine the latch and make sure it is open first.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Grand Caravan sliding door won't close. Help!