Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: Power steering pump failure?

Old 12-13-2013, 09:32 AM
killermrob83
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering pump failure?

2007 Grand Caravan SXT, 3.8L, 75K miles. My dad's van has developed kind of a whirring sound coming from the upper right front end (left rear of the engine compartment as you're facing it) of the motor. Seems to change in intensity as the steering wheel is turned, like the pump is going bad. Because it is currently so cold outside I have not tried to narrow it down any further than opening the hood with the engine running and listening as the steering wheel is rotated, and therefore am aware that it could be something else in that general area. Are these pumps known for failing this early in life? If so, does anyone have a good procedure for r/r this unit? Any other ideas/advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and consideration. Rob

Old 12-13-2013, 11:10 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The whine is usually caused by the filter screen in the power steering reservoir getting dirty and restricting fluid flow. Then the pump doesn't get enough fluid and starts to aerate causing the noise.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:03 PM
killermrob83

Awesome! Is it possible to remove the reservoir and clean the filter screen by back flushing it, or is it recommended to just go ahead and replace the reservoir? Is the filter alone replaceable? I ask this because I see that there are some offered at RockAuto. Thanks so much for your input, Tizzy1. Rob

Last edited by killermrob83; 12-13-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:17 PM
killermrob83

My bad. After looking more closely at those filters being offered, I see that they are aftermarket add on inline filters. Would it be recommended to install one of the magnetic filters because of the history of the reservoir filter becoming plugged? I'm thinking that it may alleviate some of the crud that winds up in the reservoir. Rob

Last edited by killermrob83; 12-13-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:53 PM
Tizzy1
Champion

A. Yes, replace the reservoir as the filter is not replaceable.

B. Not sure about the add on filters, I have personally never used one but couldn't hurt to have more filtering.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:11 PM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

tizzy 2010 they removed the filter? I think mine making or starting too.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:24 AM
Tizzy1
Champion

Honestly, I'm not sure if those have a filter or not. But I have not ran into the whine issue with them.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:22 AM
killermrob83

I'm going to replace the Chrysler reservoir with a Dorman OE Solutions reservoir. According to Dorman, they take the OEM piece and improve on any issues found while in service. I have used their products in the past with no disappointments. The Dorman part number is 603934. Will also add an inline magnetic filter in hopes of adding extra filtering without adding excessive restriction to the flow of fluid. Thanks for all of your input......... much appreciated. Rob

Old 12-17-2013, 10:50 AM
cv2003
Veteran

Originally Posted by killermrob83
I'm going to replace the Chrysler reservoir with a Dorman OE Solutions reservoir. According to Dorman, they take the OEM piece and improve on any issues found while in service. I have used their products in the past with no disappointments. The Dorman part number is 603934. Will also add an inline magnetic filter in hopes of adding extra filtering without adding excessive restriction to the flow of fluid. Thanks for all of your input......... much appreciated. Rob
IMO it would be a waste of time and money to add a second filter. Look at it this way - the OEM filter in the reservoir lasted 6-7 years, correct? So why not just plan on replacing that one part again in 2020?
Also be advised that the single bolt in the center of the reservoir is hidden from sight. If you know how to get at it correctly, it will take around 30 seconds to loosen (not remove). However, if you don't go about it right, you will end up spending lots of time, and probably say a few bad words along the way. Easiest by far for me is to use socket on the end of around 9" of extension, starting at the firewall, but without the ratchet attached. Then snake it through the maze of wires and hoses (think of it like an arrow), and end up with the socket at the underside of the reservoir. Then pop the ratchet on and just loosen it up. You can get a single finger of your left hand onto the head of the bolt to locate it, and then use that as a target for the socket to find. It took me much longer to write this, than to actually do that job. Very, very fast and easy if you do it right!

Old 12-18-2013, 10:20 AM
killermrob83

After reading your advice regarding the extra filter, I have to agree with you. My dad probably won't have the van long enough for the screen to get fouled again unless there is a more serious underlying problem.

I appreciate the input regarding that hidden bolt. I'm sure that you've spared me the anguish of struggling to loosen it. Thanks again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: Power steering pump failure?