2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

timing chain cover gasket went

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 09:51 PM
BackInBlack43
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing chain cover gasket went

well ive had a slow antifreeze leak ever since i got the truck but it was always small never enough to cause problems. this week it finally made its presence known. if you start the truck antifreeze starts coming down the left side of the motor in significant amounts and leaves a puddle. truck isnt driveable right now, needless to say i need to do my timing chain gasket. anybody on here done one before and have any tricks/tips? i know its quite a job but i figure it wont cost me more than 200 in parts for the gaskets, bypass hoses, new timing chain and sprocket(while its all apart might as well) some new antifreeze vs 850 for a shop to do just the gasket. havent decided if im going to get a new cover or not. also does anyone know the complete parts list im going to need?

Old 12-18-2013, 10:19 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Water pump? If yours old replace it. It has to come off first.
Water pump gasket
Timing chain gasket
Double Roller timing chain. Do NOT get a stock replacement. They suck.
Antifreeze
Water pump bypass hose
Timing chain cover. If needed

Old 12-18-2013, 10:35 PM
BackInBlack43
Professional

water pumps already been done recently, but any idea on how likely it is that the cover is actually bad ?

Old 12-18-2013, 10:57 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the timing chain cover is just a big immovable piece of aluminum. unless its cracked, or badly corroded, its usually fine.

what tends to happen is that when the water pump only is replaced and its unbolted from the timing cover with its 10-15 year old gasket, and those big though bolts, and then reinstalled and retorqued... that old gasket underneath the timing cover just gives it up.

you'll need a harmonic balancer removal tool. rent at local parts store.
a 1-1/4 socket and either an air gun, or a way to hold the engine from turning.
the timing chain gasket kit will include a new front crank seal.
the front 2 oil pan bolts go into the bottom of the timing cover. separate that very gently to not damage the oil pan gasket. and maybe put a light coat of rtv back on it to get it to seal up.
you'll need to unbolt the fan. its a big size wrench, and you need a way to hold the fan from turning. either a strap wrench, spanner wrench, or smack it sharply with a hammer.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:16 PM
BackInBlack43
Professional

thanks!

Old 12-19-2013, 12:07 AM
jpsycoboy5
Professional

I've done the timing chain on a magnum motor 4-5 times pretty straight forward I'd start spraying the crank bolt now with your person choice in pentrating oil. Oh by the way sick truck I've always wanted a murdered out ram.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:30 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Have a close look at the coolant passages where they meet the engine block. Mine were fairly corroded there..... but, some RTV, and a new gasket took care of it. If they are really bad, new covers are available out there in the world. I have seen them on EBay for under 100 bucks.

Two bolts come up thru the front of the oil pan. Don't forget to take those out, or you can break the cover.

When reinstalling, set cover in place, snug up those two bolts first, (not tight, just snug) torque cover to spec, and then torque the oil pan bolts to spec. No need to drop the pan.

I did my timing cover in my driveway (and replace timing set) in about 2.5 hours, and I was taking my time.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:37 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Have a close look at the coolant passages where they meet the engine block. Mine were fairly corroded there..... but, some RTV, and a new gasket took care of it. If they are really bad, new covers are available out there in the world. I have seen them on EBay for under 100 bucks.

Two bolts come up thru the front of the oil pan. Don't forget to take those out, or you can break the cover.

When reinstalling, set cover in place, snug up those two bolts first, (not tight, just snug) torque cover to spec, and then torque the oil pan bolts to spec. No need to drop the pan.

I did my timing cover in my driveway (and replace timing set) in about 2.5 hours, and I was taking my time.
Two bolts come up from the oil pan? I didn't have to mess with the oil pan at all. When I did mine

Old 12-19-2013, 10:41 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Yep. Front two oil pan bolts go into the timing cover. (on the bottom.)

Old 12-19-2013, 10:43 AM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

Did anyone have issue with coolant getting into the oil when removing the timing cover? We did when we did my 96 so we did oil change and new thermostat and gasket too while in there.

Dave

Quick Reply: timing chain cover gasket went