3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

I officially love working on my truck

Old 12-22-2013, 02:15 AM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Default I officially love working on my truck

Did my plugs tonight. About 30 minutes total. Intake off and BAM, all coils are right there. I got my tools out, crouched on the bumper and went to town.

Factory gap is .40, not one of the plugs I pulled out was under .55. Good news is they all looked fantastic however old they were.

RPM's are down about 150 at 65mph, so that's an improvement!

Old 12-24-2013, 10:46 PM
Old man with a Hemi2
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Prismatic
Did my plugs tonight. About 30 minutes total. Intake off and BAM, all coils are right there. I got my tools out, crouched on the bumper and went to town.

Factory gap is .40, not one of the plugs I pulled out was under .55. Good news is they all looked fantastic however old they were.

RPM's are down about 150 at 65mph, so that's an improvement

I think it's also an impossibility. Driving rpm is determined by transmission ratio and rear gear ratio and since you made no changes to either, I think it's technically impossible to reduce rpm's at any given mph just from changing the plugs. It just doesn't work that way. At idle it is possible but driving...no way

Last edited by dirtydog; 12-27-2013 at 08:42 AM. Reason: fixed quote parenthesis
Old 12-27-2013, 11:57 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice. What plugs did you install? NGK? Autolite? I'm hoping just basic copper one's...?

Most guys go through the fenders for the plugs.
I haven't had the need to change mine yet so we shall see...but I like the idea of fenders because it beatts being hunched over for an extended period of time.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:38 PM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Nice. What plugs did you install? NGK? Autolite? I'm hoping just basic copper one's...?

I haven't had the need to change mine yet so we shall see...but I like the idea of fenders because it beatts being hunched over for an extended period of time.
Basic copper ones. Didn't wanna spend a whole lot.

You mean people take the fender walls off to stand inside the bay and work?

That sounds comfortable, but a lot of extra work.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:58 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Yep. They take the inner liners out. It's only like 7 or 8 screws. Pretty simple actually.
I took mine out when I did my headers.

Also, Dodge only recommends Copper plugs. These trucks are very temper mental with fancy plugs. Plus, fancy plugs are only better in marginal situations. Generally a waste of money if your able to do the work yourself. If not, fancy plugs save you labor costs in the long run.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:47 AM
TRO14
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep. They take the inner liners out. It's only like 7 or 8 screws. Pretty simple actually.
I took mine out when I did my headers.

Also, Dodge only recommends Copper plugs. These trucks are very temper mental with fancy plugs. Plus, fancy plugs are only better in marginal situations. Generally a waste of money if your able to do the work yourself. If not, fancy plugs save you labor costs in the long run.
Don't go through the fender well, you can access the plugs from the top of the engine bay way easier. This guy dirtydog has obviously never changed the plugs on his truck.

Old 12-28-2013, 12:13 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by TRO14
Don't go through the fender well, you can access the plugs from the top of the engine bay way easier. This guy dirtydog has obviously never changed the plugs on his truck.
Here we go again...

I think you need to start reading better on what other people say because your not doing a good job. Your trying to just find a way to disagree with me and make me look bad and are actually making yourself look bad.

I'll go through what has been said to help you out because you seem to not be able to follow on your own:

I haven't had the need to change mine yet so we shall see
...but I like the idea of fenders because it beatts being hunched over for an extended period of time.
Now, maybe MOST was a bad choice and it should have been SOME guys, but I have been around this forum for 5yrs and have 10K more posts than you do so I think i would know how guys have changed their plugs in the past.

Old 12-28-2013, 12:19 PM
TRO14
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here we go again...

I think you need to start reading better on what other people say because your not doing a good job. Your trying to just find a way to disagree with me and make me look bad and are actually making yourself look bad.

I'll go through what has been said to help you out because you seem to not be able to follow on your own:

Now, maybe MOST was a bad choice and it should have been SOME guys, but I have been around this forum for 5yrs and have 10K more posts than you do so I think i would know how guys have changed their plugs in the past.
No one goes through the wheel well. Period.

Now, having been here in different forms since 05 I am no expert but according to you time on the forum determines expertise so I guess I got you beat boss.

Old 12-28-2013, 12:22 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TRO14
No one goes through the wheel well. Period.

Now, having been here in different forms since 05 I am no expert but according to you time on the forum determines expertise so I guess I got you beat boss.
Your generalized statement is not fact.

Old 12-28-2013, 12:32 PM
KasperR34
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol TRO you're an idiot.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I officially love working on my truck