3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

fan belt tentioner

Old 01-05-2014, 12:56 PM
mrbb1
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fan belt tentioner

OK so yesterday I heard a loud POP sound while driving, then a few seconds later I started to get a very loud squealing sounds like a fan belt was slipping
then my voltage gauge and all gauges went bonkers, going from normal reading to max reading then to bottoming out all gauges, with my voltage readings going from full charging to none
when it was safe to pull over I did, and looked under the hood, everything was working to the eye
tried to feel for any vibrations in my alternator, as that was suspected issue, was told the popping sound I heard was maybe a with the alternator too, so my number one idea! source of troubles, it is 8 yrs old so?

But agan could not fel any thing wrong or see anything?
drive truck home, with squealing sunds going from none to super loud to none, at random, with it mostly stopping squealing when I let off the gas

got home again did a quick look under the hood, was now dark out and no garage and 2 degree's outside

this morning I get up, truck starts right up
check voltage at battery, 11.6 volts, so not charging , then notoce the belt is NOW not spinning at all, there is even about a 3/4's an inch of slack in it
zero tention on the belt

so while there is no resistance on the belt, I hand spun all pulleys, minus the big one at the bottom and they all spin freely and with no noticable wiggle to them, like bad bering

has anyone ever had a betl tensioner go bad, any one recommend a replacemnt one
and any tips on getting it off?
its a 2006 dodge ram 2500, hemi/gas motor

Old 01-05-2014, 01:03 PM
abarmby
Champion

Have you also checked the serpentine for cracks and "threading".......cords showing?
At 8yrs old, I'd replace all the idlers and tensioner pulleys, plus the belt.
For what they cost compared to being stuck at the side of some road somewhere....well you know the score lol.
The idlers might not appear to be goosed, until a decent amount of pressure is applied by a good tensioner as well. Spinning them up by hand doesn't put any side loading on them as a fitted belt would.
Just a heads up.
Good luck and post up what happens to sort your issue out.
Al.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:48 PM
mrbb1
Professional

OK just double checked the tensioner again, and it is maxed out and still not applying any tension at all
the belt was replaced about a yr ago or less, with an OEM belt, and after a close inspection now, I can find zero cracks or any visable damage?
could the belt have stretched that much, and if so why?
and I agree just a ahnd spin doesn't mean good, but does mean there at least free, more or less and not like one was frozen or hard to spin
and will update as I go
just sucks its so dam cold out and no garage to work in, crappy time of yr to have an issue here! but?? what can you do

Old 01-05-2014, 05:10 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude---sounds like you lost a bearing or support bracket somewhere if you aren't getting an belt tension. Pull the old belt and check out the drive array carefully so you don't pay the price of breakage while the engine is running-----like a waterpump fan shaft into the radiator--for instance

Old 01-05-2014, 06:12 PM
mrbb1
Professional

thanks
but all brackets are there, and the darn belt look great shape, minus now being too long, as again, there is zero tension on the belt and its on right , just no tension
actually can almsot be pulled right off as it sat(did have to push down on tensioner to get it off
but I don't se how a belt can go from being tight last night to , so loose the next morning?
last nite when I felt it it wasn't even hot, so???
all pulleys seem free and no wobble side to side movement on them, even on the alternator
and they all look in pretty good shape too
but something ahd to happen so??

Old 01-05-2014, 06:16 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker

did the spring on the tensioner break?

Old 01-05-2014, 06:23 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Belt tensioner comes off with a 15mm I think. I just had mine off today while changing out my water piump

Old 01-05-2014, 06:28 PM
cummins1

sounds kinda like you lost a idler pully all together it has a couple of them. the one that looks like it could to what you r saying is between the tensioner and the crank pully if its gone that would explane the clunk wile u were driving

Old 01-05-2014, 06:37 PM
mrbb1
Professional

OK thanks guys, weather right now isn't allowing me to look at it any more today, been pouring out and its like 28 degree's or less, not sure why its now snow, and going down to like 1 degree tonight, and more sleet for tomorrow
but I didn't notice any pulleys missing, but didn't look that close for one being gone, but that would make sense
anyone know how many I should hve?
its a 2006 2500 hemi, slt has most all options minus leather gut
as for a broken spring on the tensioner, I don't think so, as there is a lot of pressure,down force on it right now, and springs back well if I move it
so think that is OK
either the belt stretched or a pulley fell off maybe?
have to look better tomorrow when it stops raining or snowing??
hate working on crap outside in bad weather
1 degree's the fingers don't work well, this bad arthritis and cold don't go well
wish I had a darn garage here!

Old 01-06-2014, 08:16 AM
chuck_hammer
Veteran

you keep saying the belt stretching. NOT... without damage to the belt.
and a 1/4 inch would not matter.

my guess.. broken/lost idler pulley. or bolts lost that holds a bracket.
bang noise.. something HIT something.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: fan belt tentioner