3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

remote start

Old 01-05-2014, 10:57 PM
KS Cowboy
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default remote start

Howdy yall!!!

Some of yall might have thought that i might have died, well, no. I got married about a year ago. And the wife and I have had a LOT on our plate. Biggest of all is that in April, I am gonna be a daddy!!!

Now on to the truck questions:

1. Is it possible to install the factory remote start in a viehicle that doesnt have one yet? IF so, Im gonna bet that it is a $250 to $500 option that only the dealer can install???

2. when replacing the front struts, do i need to replace my Strut mounting Kit? if so, not a problem, just wondering.

3. How does one tap into the power lock system? I am wanting to add my toolbox onto the driver door system. I am guessing that it is not as simple as cut and splice new wire into existing wire.

Thanks for yall's help.
Frank Vogel

Old 01-05-2014, 11:55 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Back when I looked into this for my wife's 2012 Compass, the factory kit was $200-$250 the cheapest I could find it (complete with two new remote start keys/FOBs), and the install was about $400-$500 at the $tealership. I am assuming our trucks would be similar-ish.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:10 PM
pyrofossil
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well first off Congratulations!!! My son is about to be 4 months! It is a Blessings!!!

Hope my opinions help you some.
Originally Posted by KS Cowboy
1. Is it possible to install the factory remote start in a viehicle that doesnt have one yet? IF so, Im gonna bet that it is a $250 to $500 option that only the dealer can install???
1. Like mentioned above, factory is going to be expensive, and if your willing to spend anywhere around $300 or more, might as well get a Good Alarm System. I would recommend a Clifford Alarm. I've had one of their alarms in 6 of my vehicles and never had any problems and love the extra features.
2. when replacing the front struts, do i need to replace my Strut mounting Kit? if so, not a problem, just wondering.
2. When I replaced my struts w/ Ranchos, I replaced them as well, they were really worn down. Do a good inspection of your ball joints and tie rods while down there!
3. How does one tap into the power lock system? I am wanting to add my toolbox onto the driver door system. I am guessing that it is not as simple as cut and splice new wire into existing wire.
3. I have aftermarket actuators for my doors, so it is that simple, just tapping into the wire. I'm sure a stock Dakota is the same, all you would have to do is take off the door panel and find the live wire. so get a volt meter/tester from a auto store, shouldn't be no more than $10. You just tap into the wire and enable your locks, which ever wire is live, well tap into that one. That wire would than go to the positive of your actuator for your tool box.

Last edited by pyrofossil; 01-06-2014 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Congrats!
The following users liked this post:
miru889 (12-12-2021)
Old 01-06-2014, 10:05 PM
rodslinger
Veteran
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Remote start

I was curious about this myself a few days back and ended up ordering a setup from Fortin Electronics called the EVO-ALL and a T-harness. This is supposed to be a fully plug and play system and will enable remote start using the factory key fob. Best of all it was only $100 shipped from eBay and I should have it Wednesday. I'll let you know how it goes.

https://ifar.ca/en/products/evo-series/evo-all/

Here is a video of the install on a Jeep and it is supposed to be the same for pretty much all Dodge/Chrysler vehicles from about 2004 to now.

miru889 (12-12-2021)
Old 01-07-2014, 08:08 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 333 Likes on 297 Posts

Don't have any insight into your problem, but welcome back and congratulations!

Old 01-07-2014, 09:23 PM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rodslinger
I was curious about this myself a few days back and ended up ordering a setup from Fortin Electronics called the EVO-ALL and a T-harness. This is supposed to be a fully plug and play system and will enable remote start using the factory key fob. Best of all it was only $100 shipped from eBay and I should have it Wednesday. I'll let you know how it goes.

https://ifar.ca/en/products/evo-series/evo-all/

Here is a video of the install on a Jeep and it is supposed to be the same for pretty much all Dodge/Chrysler vehicles from about 2004 to now.

2008 Grand Cherokee Fortin EVO CHR4 Install - YouTube

Looks simple enough and no splicing, id love to get it, but I dont have factory keyfobs or electric locks, saddly (just chip keys)

Old 01-09-2014, 09:28 PM
rodslinger
Veteran

Well I received the kit yesterday and got around to installing it this evening. It really was as easy as the video put it. From opening the door to finish was about 15 minutes. Install was basically:

1) Remove lower cover from steering column
2) Unplug harness from ignition switch
3) Connect t-harness from EVO-ALL to ignition switch, connect original ignition switch harness to other end of t-harness.
4) Connect t-harness to EVO-ALL per instructions while holding the button and perform the key sequence.
5) Secure the EVO-ALL using some double sided sticky tape somewhere under the dash and put back the lower column cover.

Enjoy remote start....

miru889 (12-12-2021)
Old 01-10-2014, 08:40 AM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

i'm confused (not an unusual condition).

Your post implies that this is a remote start kit.

My understanding is that this is just a "patch" to allow you to use an aftermarket remote start in your vehicle without having to mess with the wiring, to make it plug-and-play (nothing wrong with that, btw).

Please enlighten me.

(my wife has a Volvo and wants remote start, I said from my research that it was next to impossible, this would make it work)

Old 01-10-2014, 11:32 PM
rodslinger
Veteran

Originally Posted by northgator8
i'm confused (not an unusual condition).

Your post implies that this is a remote start kit.

My understanding is that this is just a "patch" to allow you to use an aftermarket remote start in your vehicle without having to mess with the wiring, to make it plug-and-play (nothing wrong with that, btw).

Please enlighten me.

(my wife has a Volvo and wants remote start, I said from my research that it was next to impossible, this would make it work)
In my install this is an actual remote start module. It is not a patch or interface to any other device. The module from Fortin connects inline between the factory ignition switch harness and the actual ignition switch and is the only item used. I use my factory keyfob to start it. Pressing the brake pedal or doing anythnig other than putting the key in while it is running on remote start will shut it back down just like the factory system.

The Fortin devices apparently CAN interface with other alarm systems for additional functionality. Apparently there is an option to plug in another brand remote start to take advantage of their long range transmitters. Worked well for me this morning. Got into a toasty warm truck to take the kids to school.

I think Chrysler/Dodge are about the only plug and play system they have. Other makes would require a bit more cut and splicing in the wiring.

miru889 (12-12-2021)
Old 01-11-2014, 06:48 AM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rodslinger
In my install this is an actual remote start module. It is not a patch or interface to any other device. The module from Fortin connects inline between the factory ignition switch harness and the actual ignition switch and is the only item used. I use my factory keyfob to start it. Pressing the brake pedal or doing anythnig other than putting the key in while it is running on remote start will shut it back down just like the factory system.

The Fortin devices apparently CAN interface with other alarm systems for additional functionality. Apparently there is an option to plug in another brand remote start to take advantage of their long range transmitters. Worked well for me this morning. Got into a toasty warm truck to take the kids to school.

I think Chrysler/Dodge are about the only plug and play system they have. Other makes would require a bit more cut and splicing in the wiring.
Thanks for the reply. I'll start a conversation!

miru889 (12-12-2021)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: remote start