Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: Change Alternator or just pulley?

Old 01-06-2014, 03:14 AM
sniper82
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Change Alternator or just pulley?

Alternator charges at 14.7 but the pulley is making all kinds of racket. I can get a pulley and the tool to change it on ebay for $55 altogether and maybe able to repair it with the alternator still on or I can buy a re-manufactured ToughOne brand local for $140. Van/old alternator has 138k miles on it. What route would you go?

Old 01-06-2014, 08:29 AM
cv2003
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First off, I don't think you would be getting a Litens pulley in that package, because the lowest retail price I've seen for the pulley alone is $50 + shipping. And I'm not aware of anyone but Litens making this ADP for our vans. I bought the Litens pulley and built a homemade version of the tool which worked out well, but I can't imagine anyone selling the commercial tool plus pulley for less than $100.
Next, I've never seen anyone post that they replaced the pulley with the alt still on the van. It may be possible to do so, but there sure isn't much working room. If anyone has done this successfully, by all means please post!
Finally, the alt for $140 almost certainly doesn't have the required ADP pulley. There are lots of reman alts being sold which not only don't have the right pulley, but are rebuilt by 10 year-old Chinese kids who are paid next to nothing for working as fast as they can. Ask your local Auto Electric guy what he charges for this work (Litens pulley + alt reconditioning). Made in the USA

Old 01-06-2014, 11:45 AM
Chazwel
Professional

I am thinking, change the belt. $40.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:34 PM
trophyslayer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sniper82
Alternator charges at 14.7 but the pulley is making all kinds of racket. I can get a pulley and the tool to change it on ebay for $55 altogether and maybe able to repair it with the alternator still on or I can buy a re-manufactured ToughOne brand local for $140. Van/old alternator has 138k miles on it. What route would you go?
I just changed my alternator 3 weeks ago, the pully was making all kinds of noise too, put up with it for almost 1 year

I also put in a ToughOne New alternator(they had to mail it to me, free shipping, but they screwed up packaging on the first couple alternators they sent me)

fit perfectly and noise is gone

not sure if the new is much better then there used

Old 01-06-2014, 01:08 PM
sniper82
Amateur

Well if I got the Litens I'd be out another $25 which it would be $80 give or take vs $55. Curious is there big difference between the Litens and one thats not OAD? What can I expect just it not last as long or put a bit more stress on the belt, tensioner, ect? How do I check to see if a reman alternator has a true OAD?

Old 01-06-2014, 09:18 PM
cv2003
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's a sales pitch, if you like that sort of thing.
http://www.decouplerpulley.com/

You're probably going to have to dig for information in order to find out which pulley is used on the various remans. But for the ones you can get your hands on, just read the part # on the pulley.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:58 PM
sniper82
Amateur

The pulley I was looking at is actually a Zen shown in one of those demonstration videos and there is a good difference between it and the OAD. I think I will do some research on some reman alternators and there pulleys. If I can't find one that for sure has a true OAD I'll just order the Litens. Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: Change Alternator or just pulley?