2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Can't get extension housing off transfer case...

Old 01-06-2014, 09:11 AM
Godramit07
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't get extension housing off transfer case...

Truck got stuck in 4 low... Shouldn't have put it in anyway. Just got the truck recently. Trying to remove the transfer case to fix the four wheel but the truck has a custom exhaust and I can't get the transfer case to drop between the tranny support crossmember and the exhaust without removing the tranny extension housing. The bolts are removed and I can create about 3/16-1/4" gap between the transfer case but it won't let go.... Next option is cutting the exhaust which I am trying to avoid if possible....

Old 01-06-2014, 09:22 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

I think you are actually trying to pull the o/d unit off the back of the trans? If so, I think there are internal linkages in there as well. (parking mechanism, I think....)

Old 01-06-2014, 09:28 AM
Godramit07

Sounds right... So put it in neutral or 1st?

Old 01-06-2014, 09:31 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Not sure you really want to take that off at all..... Think you would have to drop the pan, but, not 100% on that. (everything I know about auto transmissions is written on the inside of my left eyelid.)

If you don't have it already, grab one of the service manuals from the faq section here. Procedures for removing the various parts are in there. Might help some.

If the t-case doesn't want to separate from the trans..... there really shouldn't be anything holding it on, once all the bolts, linkage, and electrical connections (if any) are removed..... careful how you pry on that though, as the housing is only aluminum.... easily damaged.

Oh, and: Welcome to DF! You should put your truck info in your sig, and profile. Makes life easier for us to help you.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:43 AM
Godramit07

Gotcha... It's a 2001 ram. Got the 241-hd transfer. I got the transfer case off but the housing, that I thought was the tranny extension where the rear drive shaft yolk inserts into the transfer case, is too long and won't clear the exhaust. The crossmember that supports the tranny is pinned in between the frame rails and is the only thing keeping the transfer case from dropping. Frustrated

Old 01-06-2014, 09:53 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Ah. Yeah. That thing can be a pain.

It's kinda sandwiched into the frame. Put a jack under the trans, (properly supported, so you don't punch thru anything important) and jack the trans up off the crossmember a couple inches. (unbolt the mount first.) Then, knock the crossmember UP, so you can get it out.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:47 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When I do my xcase work I jack up the tranny just enough to roll the tranny support out and thats it, you need to watch the fan make sure it does not go into the shroud. You can go up an 1" and down a 1" from where it normally sits.

I would like to see a pix of just what you have going on, I understand you have a custom exhaust but there still should be room to get the xcase out.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:10 PM
Godramit07

Hey guys,, I ended up cutting my exhaust. Still not 100% if it was the o/d or the tranny extension that came off the transfer case. Whatever the rear driveshaft yoke sits into. The housing for that had a slot in the top to remove a snap ring, which I'm pretty confident I never could've removed with out removing the transfer case first. The exhaust was pinned in above the crossmember as well. Got it all taken apart and put back together tho. A couple snap rings had busted. I'll try to get some pics and throw 'em up later in the week or this weekend to see if you think there was any other way I could've removed the t-case w out cutting my exhaust.
Thanks for your help!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can't get extension housing off transfer case...