Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Commercial Cummins computer upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 11:02 PM
Blacknights
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Commercial Cummins computer upgrade

Hi guys,
I'm normally on the Dakota sub-forum, but I was wondering if yall could help me. I'm a volunteer firefighter and my department has two fire apparatus that have baseline Cummins engine in it, I believe they are either a ISB6.7 or ISL9 in it. Regardless it isn't something that is in a stock 2500 or 3500, you'd find these in a medium duty line up. The guys in my department are having a problem with when we're fully loaded (gear, water, people, etc.), we've got the torque but not the horsepower. Example is we can make it up a steep hill (6-7 percent grade I think) but only at 35 mph. Well they've been asking around to try and find a performance computer or something to give it some desperately needed hp. I thought to ask on here, I'm hoping a few of yall out here might be also on the industrial side (CDL A/B) of Cummins and could lend a hand. We're a district of volunteer rural firefighter so we do this on a budget, and replacing an engine or apparatus is way far out of the question.

Any advice or anything is greatly appreciated. Thank you to any who can! If you want to feel free to PM me.

Last edited by Blacknights; 01-08-2014 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:05 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first you have to figure out exactly what motor it is.

then probably do some injectors and a small turbo upgrade to give it a little more smooth reliable power.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:34 PM
Blacknights
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ya I will, I'm just out of the state visiting my parents. What do you mean by small turbo upgrade?

Old 01-10-2014, 11:53 AM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

depends on the motor really...if it has a VGT, then there isn't any need for a turbo upgrade unless you go big in performance, but if it is a motor with a tiny turbo, you may need a slightly bigger one to make sure EGTs are always in check when you add more fuel.

Quick Reply: Commercial Cummins computer upgrade