2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission Cooler Line Leaking

Old 01-08-2014, 11:41 PM
jamesnb
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Cooler Line Leaking

I have a '01 1500 Ram 4x4 with a factory installed transmission cooler (part of the towing package). The cooler is located between the radiator and the AC condenser. I was doing some work on the truck last week and I must have damaged the aluminum line where it makes the turn to go back into the engine bay because it's leaking.
Is there a reliable way to fix the leak or should I just replace the cooler? I was thinking I could cut the aluminum tubing and install a compression fitting or flare the end and attach a hose and clamp. I don't trust just sliding hose over the leak without some sort of barb.
If replacing the cooler is the way to go, does anybody have any helpful hints? It doesn't seem like too big a job.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:29 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,165 Likes on 2,919 Posts

If you have enough line, I think flaring it, and installing a barb would be the best bet. No real need to replace the entire cooler.

Either that, or you might be able to go to a radiator shop, and have it soldered up.... Not sure what that would cost.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:47 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If you have enough line, I think flaring it, and installing a barb would be the best bet. No real need to replace the entire cooler.
This. Just be sure to use hose rated for tranny fluid.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:08 PM
jamesnb
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's probably two feet of aluminum tubing between the leak and the cooler. I'll give that a try. Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Cooler Line Leaking