3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

P0562 System Low Voltage

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 08:46 PM
Legacy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question P0562 System Low Voltage

Hey could anyone help with this one?

Got in the Dak today to get going. Wouldn't crank...battery acted dead but I have no amp reader to check for sure. Hunted up cables and pulled the Stratus around for jumpstart. Tried one last time just because I still couldn't believe the battery was dead with no warning of weakness. It cranked very slowly and then suddenly fired up. Whole dashboard lights up including all the little squares around the "gears". Put it in gear and all lights out except the engine light steady on. I figured it was picking up the weak battery and went on my way. Stopped by and borrowed dad's code reader. It gives me a P0562 System Low Wattage but the battery was reading fine on the volt meter. Turned it off, let it sit about 15 minutes. Tried again, Fired right up no problem. Had to run to Home Depot so took it to see how it went. Got up there, no problem.

In HD for 15 minutes and no start again. My brother came up to help and we tried to jump start it. Hooked everything up and tried again. Cranked but not over. Left everything sit with brother's truck running. Still nothing. Left it for a while and finally, with alot of effort it fired. Now for the weird.

It idled fine. It went into gear fine. Did everything fine till I tried to ask it for power. It bucked and gave me NOTHING. Couldn't get that sucker over 19mph. Crept home on backroads. Had to go offroad to let cars by. Got back up on road after bumping around through the dirt and it would give me 25mph floored. Engine not reving high. Tack steady at 2. Just wouldn't move. Sometimes a kick or two. Do the newer vehicles have huge power issues when the battery is weak? My next newest car is 10 years old. Nothing I have ever driven has ever acted this way over a weak battery.

Oh for the old days when you jumped it and went down the road to see if it would recharge. If it did, fine, if not, new battery. But at least the ole beast still got you there without all the issues. Ahh. crap...now I'm showing my age!

Thanks
Legacy
2007 Dodge Dak SLT QC 6cyl 2wd

Old 09-01-2008, 08:58 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This definitely sounds like more than just a bad battery. If it had a bad battery it would run fine off the alternator once started. The situation you described makes me think alternator isn't too likely a culprit either since if the alternator was gone once the battery died the truck wouldn't run at all without charging the battery. Since it's an '07 you should still be under warranty, I'd take it in and let the dealer figure it out.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:51 PM
Legacy

Thanks Altair!

Yeah, I agree, that's why I'm confused. Here's whats happening now. Rick (hubby) put in a battery from our 72 Camaro just to see what the Dak would do. It's fine. Starts good, runs good, just like it usually does. In fact, it has cleared the P0562 code on it's own. Freakin' weird. The only thing we still see is that the mileage has dropped to 15.2 mpg according to the overhead console. We usually see 19.5 in this Dakota.

I would like to take it to the dealer, but I could see them telling me it's a dead battery, blaming it on me and then wanting to charge me an arm and a leg since it's from the dealer. And now that the Dak has cleared the code, they will tell me they "couldn't replicate the problem." Which is what they told me when I had problems the last time and the truck had cleared the code. I know something still isn't right with it with the mileage being so low and I sure want to get that fixed!

We are actually not complete idiots and do know our way around cars/trucks pretty well but I gotta say, these new vehicles sure have some strange problems! lol

Thanks again!
Legacy
2007 Dakota SLT QC 6cyl 2wd

Old 09-01-2008, 10:20 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Possible causes for the code
RESISTANCE IN THE (A1) BATTERY POSITIVE CIRCUIT
(K20) GENERATOR FIELD CONTROL CIRCUIT OPEN
(K20) GENERATOR FIELD CONTROL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
BATTERY
GENERATOR
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)

The Powertrain control module needs almost 10 volts to work propery, If the battery has less than the needed voltage, the PCM shuts down. When the battery gets enough voltage to run the PCM, the PCM "reboots". When the voltage drops too low, the cycle starts over again. At least take it in and let them test the battery and alternator. Both are covered under the 3/36 warranty. The reason the truck runs bad is the PCM is not working due to low voltage. Also when the PCM "reboots" it needs time to relearn its parameters...It is common for batteries to be bad right off the lot, they sit on the dealers lot for long periods of time without being cranked.

Last edited by Parts/Service; 09-01-2008 at 10:22 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:55 PM
Legacy

Wow...thanks Parts/Service!

Great explanation! Now I 'get' what was going on!

I'll call tomorrow and take it in. Hopefully they will believe me when I tell them the code it had although, with any luck, it is still in the Dak's "memory". I honestly didn't think the battery would be covered under the 3/36 even though it just died on it's own. (nothing was left on) I'll have to leave the Camaro's battery in the Dakota to get it up there. If I bring the Dak's battery with me, will Dodge still look at it under warranty even though the battery will not be hooked up to it at the time?

I can honestly say, we have rarely had to take our vehicles to a dealer for work but I guess we will have to learn how to deal with them now.

Thanks again
Legacy
2007 Dakota SLT QC 6cyl 2wd

Old 09-03-2008, 05:10 PM
Legacy

Just to update,
I took it back to the dealer with the battery on the floor behind me. I told Dodge what had happened and they said "Hmmm. Never heard of anything like that happening because of a weak battery." I just grinned and walked into the showroom. And nearly slipped in my own drool...brand new Challenger in silver/gray sitting right there. I have seen pics but not one in person. That is one sweet ride! I have decided that I need to have my mid-life crisis. I want a Challenger to make me feel better! lol They only had 2 there, the other was red. But the silver/gray looked better! No, I didn't get to drive it...I got called to get the Dakota. But maaaannnn! I think I am going to have to go back! I told hubby it would look great sitting right by that bright red Dak! lol

Oops...oh yeah....got a new battery for the Dakota courtesy of Dodge! Sorry, for a minute there I got distracted and forgot my real topic! lol

Legacy

Old 01-11-2014, 12:10 AM
Dozer3B
Default Codes P0562 and P0700

bad battery will make this hapen.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:20 AM
Dozer3B
Default P0562 P0700 all dodge vehicles

Bought my Dakota off a lot. The battery had no label worked for 2 years. Truck started cranking slow. Had those codes pending. New batt no codes. Please remember that PCM P0562 (low voltage) and TCM P0700 (general code) are what those codes represent. Good battery no more codes.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:48 PM
Dozer3B
Default P0562 and P0700

New batt cleared those codes(were pending not lighting MIL and no factor for smog) without scanner(as mentioned as the first poster by installing the Camaro batt). HF 60693 put green checks on EVAP and CAT after viewing them through the OBD graphs(which means that the live data function is real time monitoring). Amazing tool. This truck passes smog in CA with almost no emissions. My daily driver is a 2005 Suzuki forenza wagon 31 mpg(90 miles each way to work). The 4.7 is such a sweet motor. Keep the thottle body clean and enjoy. Use this truck as a back up vehicle and dirt bike trailer hauler. I have never owned a vehicle that I have got so many compliments on. It is a pleasure to drive.

Quick Reply: P0562 System Low Voltage