2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

tranny oil-- "TO CHANGE OR NOT TO CHANGE, THAT IS THE QUESTION"

Old 01-13-2014, 07:53 PM
pipeking
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny oil-- "TO CHANGE OR NOT TO CHANGE, THAT IS THE QUESTION"

so I have the 99 dodge ram 1500 5.9, and it has 180,+ mi. the tranny hasn't been service for well over 100,+. I just know so many people who has had tranny problems after an oil change and stuff, so I figure if it ant broke don't f^%$ with it. the truck has been sitting for quite a while (2yrs) and I don't want it to feel neglected =)>

Old 01-13-2014, 08:02 PM
AppelH
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it hasn't been serviced in over 100k, it's probably in your best interest to do so. I think the problems you are hearing about is whn people take their trucks to the shop where they "power flush" them with machine. I can't see a simple drain and fill causing issues unless you use the wrong oil.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,166 Likes on 2,920 Posts

If the fluid looks discolored, change it. If it is going to give you problems, you will get them anyway.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:07 PM
jpsycoboy5
Professional

How does the fluid look? I dropped my pan and there was a bunch of grey silvery slime I wiped all of that out changed the fluid and filter didn't touch anything else and when I put it back together the trans was just a slipping banging and popping.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:33 PM
ReadRam
All Star

A little fresh fluid and new filter can't hurt. Would be good time to have bands checked /adjusted. I wouldn't power flush it. Or do what HeyYou said..check level, color and see how it goes.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:41 PM
Twmays
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have high cholesterol, is a doctor going to say "well you've had this for years, and if we start to eat healthy and medicate to lower your cholesterol, there could be some side effects, so just go ahead and pound down that McD?"

Nope. You're on meds and a diet, pal.

If an infant has a soiled diaper, do we say "well he's just going to do that again, so let's not change him?"

Not unless you want a visit from child protective services.

If someone hasn't changed their motor oil in two years because the engine burns enough of it that they have put in five fresh quarts by the time they hit 3,000miles and they think, "well if I change my oil I could dislodge some crap and block the oil pickup tube and then I'm in big trouble," would you advise them to change their oil?

Of course.

If you have crap in the fluid, it needs changed. If the fluid is worn, it needs changed. If the fluid is brown, or murky, or varnished, it needs changed. Even if the dirt and debris and crap is masking other problems, that doesn't mean it's "fixing" them or making it better with crap and debris.

Past neglect doesn't excuse current neglect. Change the fluid.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:24 PM
pipeking
Veteran

see!! jpsycoboy5 did his and then had problems. I totally agree if anything has oil and a filter ect. it needs replacing. I grease, change oil, filters, fluids, and all that stuff religiously; but I only check fluid level, color and smell of the tranny oil because of the problems I've heard of. how do these problems always happen, air lock, dry running? I've heard it happen so often that it truly scares me.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:37 PM
Thornloe Pride
Captain

Yeah change that oil. If you are going to have problems, it will be from the oil in there, not fresh oil...

Old 01-14-2014, 07:09 PM
jpsycoboy5
Professional

I'd change the fluid I think my problem was I wiped out all of the gunk and crud and everything in there and my trans was on its last leg it most likely would have gone out either way I honestly think my case was coincidence on my 98 I change the fluid every 30,000

Old 01-14-2014, 07:19 PM
pipeking
Veteran

so is there anyway to change ALL the oil safely? I would think a garage that droped the pan cleaned it then changed filter AND THEN used a flush machine would be the best, no? I know of tons of horror stories of those things, but I think that's the only way to actually change ALL the oil

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: tranny oil-- "TO CHANGE OR NOT TO CHANGE, THAT IS THE QUESTION"