2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Seafoam...yeah I know

Old 01-15-2014, 12:08 AM
sniper dave
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seafoam...yeah I know

For every ten threads I read about seafoam that praise it, it seems there are ten more that say it caused a problem in their truck.

My question is, if directions are followed correctly, is there a risk of causing a problem? If not, why then so many horror stories??

My truck is running good, but am about to do a full tune up and read its best to seafoam first. Is it worth it?

Old 01-15-2014, 12:30 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't like and don't use it. If you feel the need to de-carbonize your motor take it out on the hwy and run it hard. Make it go into passing gear a few times and most of the carbon will get blown out the tail pipe.

I was introduced to Seafoam when I was first starting in the marine field (20 years ago), caused a lot of headaches for customers and myself.

As per you will get many say its a great product.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:33 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sniper dave
For every ten threads I read about seafoam that praise it, it seems there are ten more that say it caused a problem in their truck.

My question is, if directions are followed correctly, is there a risk of causing a problem? If not, why then so many horror stories??

My truck is running good, but am about to do a full tune up and read its best to seafoam first. Is it worth it?

The term "doing a tune up" is a misnomer on this vehicle. All you're really getting ready to do is replace certain parts of the ignition system.

If your truck is running fine, then why bother using Seafoam? The most important aspect of keeping a vehicle in peak operating condition is performing regular maintenance which includes fluid and filter changes.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:16 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary-L
The term "doing a tune up" is a misnomer on this vehicle. All you're really getting ready to do is replace certain parts of the ignition system.

If your truck is running fine, then why bother using Seafoam? The most important aspect of keeping a vehicle in peak operating condition is performing regular maintenance which includes fluid and filter changes.
How does doing a "tune up" on a 2nd Gen Ram different from doing a "tune up" on any other car/truck on the planet?

Old 01-15-2014, 12:41 PM
sniper dave
Professional

Originally Posted by Gary-L

Well Gary I'm sorry my use of the term "tune up" aggravated you. From this point forward, I will not take any shortcuts and describe every last detail. Such as, no longer will I be doing yard work-it has now become cutting the grass, bagging the grass, weed wacking, hedge trimming, edging, raking leaves, tarping leaves, movement of leaves from point of pile to final location for nature to take its course. Because I have nothing better to do than ensure my thread is properly dictated to your satisfaction.

But thank you for being such a positive contributor to this thread by not even answering the original question posed, but having the time and effort to "correct" me.

Unreal.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:43 PM
sniper dave
Professional

Originally Posted by merc225hp
I don't like and don't use it. If you feel the need to de-carbonize your motor take it out on the hwy and run it hard. Make it go into passing gear a few times and most of the carbon will get blown out the tail pipe.

I was introduced to Seafoam when I was first starting in the marine field (20 years ago), caused a lot of headaches for customers and myself.

As per you will get many say its a great product.
Thanks bud-

Pretty much what my mechanic said. Just wanted to hear it from a few others.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:49 PM
Annihilator_X9
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tried it on my Mustang once, didn't really notice a difference.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:02 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

I've always wanted to try it, but I think I'll pass. I've also read that using a high detergent oil and changing it like every 1500 miles for a year has the same effect as using seafoam. Thats the route I would take if I suspected my motor was gunked up.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:10 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stewie01
How does doing a "tune up" on a 2nd Gen Ram different from doing a "tune up" on any other car/truck on the planet?

The term "tune up" started to lose its true definition since ODB I systems. OBD II pretty much made it obsolete. Auto manufacturers worked for years to eliminate the need of a true tune up (regapping the plugs, adjusting the valves, cleaning and adjusting the points, adjusting the carburetor). The HEI Ignition system was the stepping stone to 100,000 mile spark plug replacements. Hydraulic valves, fuel injection, and the like have rendered "tune ups" obsolete (much like the 3,000 mile oil change).

Dealerships count on people's ignorance along with the need to generate revenue, hence their continued usage of "Tune Up Specials" which equate to nothing more than replacing a couple of items and *maybe* running some fluids through a vehicle. Other than that, there are no adjustments or in-depth procedures needed to return a vehicle to it's peak performance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_tuning

A tune-up usually refers to the routine servicing of the engine to meet the manufacturer's specifications. Tune-ups are needed periodically as according to the manufacturer's recommendations to ensure an automobile runs as expected. Modern automobiles now typically require only a small number of tune-ups over the course of an approximate 250,000-kilometre (160,000 mi) or a 10-year lifespan.
Tune-ups may include the following:
In early days, mechanics finished tuning up a performance car such as a Ferrari and would take it around a track several times to burn out any built-up carbon; this is known as an Italian tuneup.
Originally Posted by sniper dave
Well Gary I'm sorry my use of the term "tune up" aggravated you. From this point forward, I will not take any shortcuts and describe every last detail. Such as, no longer will I be doing yard work-it has now become cutting the grass, bagging the grass, weed wacking, hedge trimming, edging, raking leaves, tarping leaves, movement of leaves from point of pile to final location for nature to take its course. Because I have nothing better to do than ensure my thread is properly dictated to your satisfaction.

But thank you for being such a positive contributor to this thread by not even answering the original question posed, but having the time and effort to "correct" me.

Unreal.

Did not realize you would get so offended by my response. Perhaps Teh InterWeb Thingy is not for you.

Last edited by Gary-L; 01-15-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:54 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Come on guys. The op is asking about sea foam not tune ups. Let's stay on topic.

Search this Thread