2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Lifts

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 12:26 AM
ThaBigYoss
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifts

I have an 01 Ram 1500 Sport Off Road edition currently with a 3 inch body lift on it. I'm running 35/12.5/r20s and I'm currently debating on whether I wanna go with a 2 inch leveling kit (and get rims) or add a 3 inch suspension lift. Does anybody have pictures of either combo on an off road edition or have any insight into how each would look compared to each other?

Old 02-19-2014, 02:34 AM
Johnn123
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your offroad edition lift is about as far as you can go suspension lift wise as any taller and you're gonna need a lift kit. Offroad editions already have a 2" lift in them , so if you put a 3" lift kit in youd only get 1" of lift.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:11 AM
ThaBigYoss
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So basically my best option would be to do the leveling kit?

Old 02-19-2014, 10:24 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

I think on the ORE, even a leveling kit is going to be problematic. It still uses the same control arms, and such, that the non-ORE trucks use, so, you run into the same problems, at less lift. You can get away with an inch up front, but, beyond that, I think you are going to have alignment issues.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:26 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^^^ +1

Old 02-19-2014, 02:30 PM
Johnn123
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ThaBigYoss
So basically my best option would be to do the leveling kit?
No because you're already at your limit suspension wise with stock parts. Leveling spacers still affect the steering geometry so you cant go any taller in the front without going to a kit. I think the only thing left you can do IS a kit. You say already have a 3" Body lift, and the ORE lift so kits really your only option left.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:54 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have pictures around here. The input by these guys is inaccurate with exception of the 3" kit. That is not beneficial enough.

You can toss in a 2" leveling kit w/o issue, assuming you are adept at recognizing the effects it has and what needs to be compensated for.

What is the purpose of adding anyways? Are you getting some scrub with the 35s?

What is your goal?

Old 02-19-2014, 04:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
I have pictures around here. The input by these guys is inaccurate with exception of the 3" kit. That is not beneficial enough.

You can toss in a 2" leveling kit w/o issue, assuming you are adept at recognizing the effects it has and what needs to be compensated for.

What is the purpose of adding anyways? Are you getting some scrub with the 35s?

What is your goal?
Like longer control arms perhaps, an adjustable track bar? Etc.?? Wouldn't it be cheaper/easier just to get a real lift kit, or are the ORE's more forgiving of such things that I thought??

Old 02-19-2014, 04:44 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Like longer control arms perhaps, an adjustable track bar? Etc.?? Wouldn't it be cheaper/easier just to get a real lift kit, or are the ORE's more forgiving of such things that I thought??
He didn't ask what was cheapest/easiest. That is so subjective anyways.

We also don't know what his current setup is anyways nor his goal that is the premise of his question....

I have pictures in my album showing tire size, lift, level, and body lift changes.

Control arms are not needed to be longer for adding level on an ORE. I know I can report no ill effects with mine, including all the offroad use it did see.

We are talking about the entire system here and agree that 1 part (too many think it's a small part) plays a large role in the entire system.

Of anything from the limited info that the OP provided, the one sure thing to recommend no matter what is an adjustable track bar. Yet, we know of ppl not changing to one when they did go >3" of lift, which is asking to be dangerously large brick on the road. I'd never condone that.

OP needs to give up the goods if he wants us to give him some stuff for the "pay to play" arena.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Unless otherwise specified, I generally assume (yeah, yeah, I know..... ) Stock.

ARE any of the front suspension parts different on the ORE? Aside from the springs.....

Quick Reply: Lifts