2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Belt squeaking, why???

Old 11-30-2008, 09:56 PM
upx74
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Belt squeaking, why???

Hi all,

I've got the 5.9 in my truck, and I cannot figure out why the belt is squeaking as much as it is. I can't even hear my exhaust anymore! I replaced the old belt which looked old and was cracked. I figured this would solve my problem. It still squeaks, very loud and constant, no matter what RPM! But if I spray the slightest bit of anything on the belt, it quiets down immediately until it dries again. I stuck a wrench on the tensioner and pulled it tighter while it was running and it did get a little quieter, but not much. I have a little play in my water pump pulley, but its barely anything. None of the other accessories have any play in them, nor do they turn roughly or anything like that. My fan clutch siezed up, so I'm not running a fan until next spring (its plenty cold enough up here) if that makes a difference. I did the whole wooden stick trick to all of the pulleys, and the tensioner was the loudest of them all. I have a new tensioner on the way and I'll be replacing that sometime this week. If its not the tensioner, I have no idea whats causing it. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-01-2008, 01:39 AM
charlie1935
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Water pump pulley shouldn't have play.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:45 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

When you put the new pulley on, spray some penetrating oil on the spring mechanism and work it back and forth to make sure it's free and has full travel to tighten the belt.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:13 AM
Gwub2005
Rookie
Default Tensioner

that sounds like the tensioner is bad. i had the same problem w/ my 5.2

Old 12-01-2008, 11:14 AM
NoHemi360
Default squeaky belt

i am having the same problem with my 5.9. i just replaced the tensioner this weekend and it still makes the noise. what is the wooden stick trick. mine isnt extremely loud, i can still hear my magnaflow but still something annoying. let me know if you find a cure and i will do the same
thanks
wes

Old 12-01-2008, 12:22 PM
seewalking
Default fixed mine

had the same problem and didnt start till i changed the belt it turnes out there are 2 belts for the engine one is narrower then the other ( they call it cogs) and i had the narrow one changed to the wide one and it fixed the problem

Old 12-01-2008, 01:09 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Sorry but, I'm pretty sure there is only one belt.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:10 PM
kowboydmac
All Star

Make sure you have a 7 rib belt and not a 6. I was handed a 6 and it squeaked like a dozen mice on wheels in the cab, replaced it with the correct one, smooth as silk.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:55 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Originally Posted by kowboydmac
Make sure you have a 7 rib belt and not a 6. I was handed a 6 and it squeaked like a dozen mice on wheels in the cab, replaced it with the correct one, smooth as silk.
This is true! I had a prob. with the tensioner pulley and my regular auto parts store is closed on Sunday. So I went to Advance Auto with no choice . I have replaced my belt before and never once was asked about 6 or 7 grooves or any other BS .(but they asked at Advance which I thought was strange)I left with a 6 groove pulley and luckily noticed it before I put it on. They are selling universal BS , not what goes on your truck as in OEM. Sorry to SeaWalker if thats what you meant. And that was the nail in the coffin to never go to a parts store like that again. Even in an emergency it's not worth it.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:44 PM
upx74
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Update

I installed the new tensioner assembly today..no change at all, still squeaking very loud! I also checked the belt and it is a 7-rib. I'm starting to wonder if the belt I bought is possibly too wide(?) I got it from Advance Auto, and its width is 63/64" (.984"). I checked at NAPA and their belt measures .947" wide. NAPAs belt is also a little over 1/2" longer. Looks like I'll have to pick up this belt and see if this solves my problem.

Also, the wooden stick thing..It probably has a better name, but it works like a stethoscope. I just used it to listen to all of the pulleys for weird noises.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Belt squeaking, why???