2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Plenum gasket causing loss of oil?

Old 03-18-2014, 12:31 AM
Brandontenold
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plenum gasket causing loss of oil?

I'm having a issue with my dodge, 1998 dodge with a 5.9l 360. Uses about a quart or better every 300-400 miles. I drive it rough so I expect it to be less if I was careful.

Truck runs like a top, but noticed my power isn't all there.

Gas mileage is okay.. But not great. Ordered a plenum repair kit.. But I was told if the oil fill up isn't sucking air when you put your palm on it (which it isnt) it's most likely toast rings.

I see a oily tint in my throttle body but can't get anything in there to see if it's pooled.

Before I spend a whole two days in this job.. Would you say this is my issue?

Old 03-18-2014, 01:10 AM
ReadRam
All Star

You can plug the end of the breather hose and remove pcv from valve cover to see if there is vacuum or positive pressure at pcv hole. I think you would have to have a pretty bad leak to confirm this way.
Does it blow a puff of blue smoke after sitting overnight? That would indicate bad valve guide seals. Could be a combination of both. What's mileage? Add truck info to your signature.
Removing the throttle body would give you a better look into the corners of the intake. Four bolts to remove and a 2.00 gasket.
Compression test, wet and dry would give you some more info about worn rings.

Last edited by ReadRam; 03-18-2014 at 01:18 AM.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:23 AM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

Have you read this?
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...um-thread.html

Once you have and if you still have questions then come ask them. This is why this thread is here and is a sticky.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:35 AM
Brandontenold
Rookie

Hmm Wow.. I always thought the rattling was a loose heat shield.. Seemed to go away if I played with the shield.. But maybe it was coincidence.. I seem to have all the symptoms so I guess I'll do the repair. I've also heard taking the plenum out will mess up the water pump.. Is it time for a waterpump replacement as well?

Old 03-18-2014, 12:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

Plenum and waterpump are unrelated. You *can* do the water pump/timing chain at the same time, as you have to remove a lot of the same parts to do either job. (and, if you have a lot of miles on your truck, timing chain IS a good idea.)

But, don't expect doing the plenum to completely cure your oil consumption.... Reduce it? Sure, eliminate it? Only if you are really lucky.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:43 PM
Brandontenold
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Plenum and waterpump are unrelated. You *can* do the water pump/timing chain at the same time, as you have to remove a lot of the same parts to do either job. (and, if you have a lot of miles on your truck, timing chain IS a good idea.)

But, don't expect doing the plenum to completely cure your oil consumption.... Reduce it? Sure, eliminate it? Only if you are really lucky.
I don't have a problem with topping the oil off.. But I think three quarts every thousand miles is insane. I'd be happy with one quart every thousand, two thousand miles. I simply can't accept the fact I have blown rings.. Truck runs like a top. Starts good in the cold.. I'm shure a little wear is in them but I can't see it burning that much oil.. I've had freinds follow me and the only time it blows blue smoke is when I just sit on the gas pedal.. In gear or out of gear.. And it depends on the weather as well (contraction and expanding of plates?) But my friend has a dakota that does the same thing.. And it doesn't use any oil at all.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

I was going thru a quart every 100 miles before I did the plenum, and the truck only smoked at startup..... after the plenum, I still go thru about a quart ever 200 miles or so.... and it still only smokes at start up.......

Old 03-18-2014, 02:04 PM
Brandontenold
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I was going thru a quart every 100 miles before I did the plenum, and the truck only smoked at startup..... after the plenum, I still go thru about a quart ever 200 miles or so.... and it still only smokes at start up.......

Mine only seems to smoke on start up if I bump the key for a second and let off (used to starting newer dodges where you turn the key for half a second and it starts on its own) or if I try to start it with a low battery. Other than that it doesn't smoke at all. It runs really rich though, since I have a 180 thermostat in it.

I'm also looking into removing the death flash. I'm thinking dodges retardation of timing can also contribute to oil loss

Old 03-18-2014, 02:25 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do a compression test and actually find put what your rings are at.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:50 PM
Brandontenold
Rookie

After finding out dad doesn't have a tester, ( I found his next birthday gift) Did some calling around and found one. I'll check and find some marginal test numbers for the 360 and get back to you all. (Finally a good excuse to clean my plugs)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Plenum gasket causing loss of oil?