2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

air intake

Old 04-20-2014, 12:53 AM
matrhorn
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air intake

Hey everyone,
Currently I have a k&n cold air intake in my truck. Today I went mudding and I ended up sucking in water through my intake. The water was maybe a foot deep but I ended up splashing up so much water enough of it got sucked into my moter to hydrolock it. We towed it out and managed to get the water out. My question for all of you is what can I do to keep this from happening again? I was thinking about a snorkel but it kinda seems dumb cause I'm not going through deep water whenever I go out in the mud. A couple of people told me to buy a sleeve for my intake. Will that work well enough? Should I put a snorkel on it? If so, do you know how to modify a snorkel that is meant for another vehicle like a jeep or make a homemade one?

Old 04-20-2014, 01:04 AM
44dakota
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

post a picture of your CIA and youll get some good answers,might need to do some fabricating to it..

Old 04-20-2014, 01:48 AM
matrhorn
Amateur

Its an airraid intake not a k&n, my bad. I'll post a pic once I figure out why my computer won't cooperate with me when I try

Old 04-20-2014, 10:39 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 298 Likes on 282 Posts

Since you use the truck frequently for mudding, I would seriously consider using the stock style air filter box along with a K&N air filter. Another option is to use a 14" round air filter setup. Keeping the air intake up high will keep the possibility of sucking water in from happening.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:06 PM
matrhorn
Amateur

Where exactly is a good place to get one? I've looked at some sites online and I can't find the stock air filter box.. I can find the stock tube, but not the box.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:13 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 298 Likes on 282 Posts

Junk/salvage yard is the best place to pick one up. I see them there quite frequently in this area.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:19 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How did you hydrolock your engine without destroying it?

Old 04-20-2014, 07:44 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

If he shut the engine down right away you can keep from hurting the engine. Or if he stalled it when it sucked the water in and when he tried to start it he stop cranking it you can escape damaging the engine.

For your intake first off you need to figure out which way the water traveled to get to your air filter. Then as your buddies suggested make a shield to block the water from hitting the filter.
Having a snorkel on your rig isn't jut to keep the intake out of the water. By putting the intake up higher you can also get colder air into your engine. Plus having it up higher can get the intake up out of the dust so you get cleaner air into the engine.

Now not to be an *** but I have to ask, Where were you mudding at? Is it a legal area for this type of stuff? We are losing more and more legal 4 wheeling areas because folks abuse this and go play in illegal areas which in turn can cost tons of money to fix. I enjoy playing as much as the next guy but please make sure that wherever it is that you go mudding it is a legal area. Rant off!!

Old 04-20-2014, 09:37 PM
matrhorn
Amateur

Like Wildman said I shut the engine off immediately.

Wildman, I was mudding at Jims Creek about an hour north of Anchorage, Ak. It's a perfectly legal spot to go off road so don't worry. I actually can't really afford to go breaking laws anyway since I'm military.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:53 AM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

I was stationed at Richardson from 1981-1983. I was in the Support Bn up there. Plus as a kid I lived in Barrow for almost 3 years. I'd move back up there but I was wounded in Iraq in 04 and my leg doesn't like the cold anymore.

Make sure you flush your engine two or three times during the next 1,000 miles. The water you ingested can cause damage if you don't. Don't ask me how I know.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: air intake