2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tune up

Old 05-03-2014, 11:51 AM
WAfrican
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tune up

Hey guys my truck just turned 56k miles and I would like a little bit of info on what is recommended to do for a tune up. So far what I have planned is a oil change, new wheels/tire rotation, possible new plugs and wires. Is there anything else I can do that would be good to do with a relatively low budget.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

Plugs/wires/cap/rotor/pcv valve/air filter. Should be golden. (along with anything else it is time for, oil change, etc.)

Old 05-03-2014, 02:54 PM
WAfrican
Professional

I will be putting in a new Spectre CAI with this tune up as well so air filter is already taken care off. As for everything else is there a kit you would recommend or specific parts? Also how difficult is a transmission fluid change to do? I've done some research and feel confident in doing it myself. If I do it myself though I plan on putting a easy access drain plug in so that I can drain it easier next time further down the road.

Old 05-03-2014, 04:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I *think* accel makes a complete kit? Just make sure you get brass terminals on the cap. 8mm plug wires, of good, or better quality, and run them per the TSB in the faq section here. I am running AC Delco spark plugs, simply because I like them better than any of the other offerings, and I simply will NOT install champions..... (I really dislike them.) PCV from the dealer... they actually have the correct flow rate.

CAI really isn't going to do you any good. If you haven't spent the money yet, don't. Just get a re-usable (k&n, spectre, whatever) drop-in filter, and call it good. The CAI system draw air from the EXACT same place the stock system does, so, the only performance improvement you get is from your wallet being lighter.

Trans service isn't too bad, just messy without the drain plug. (and installing one is a REALLY good idea.) Have a bag of cheap cat litter handy as well. Works great as floor dry. Do not overtorque the pan bolts. You will get a leak. Specs for all that are in the service manual, which you can download for free from here.

Old 05-03-2014, 04:13 PM
topkin
Veteran

I usually go with Champion oil filter and spark plugs never had any issues on a multiple of vehicals. Car quest is nearest to me so I just go with their brand of wires. You could go with a 8 or 8.2mm wire from summit, jeggs, msd, taylor, davis etc... Just serching summit there are a few ignition tune up kits that include cap, rotor, coil, and wires. Try to get the PCV from mopar.

Old 05-03-2014, 04:49 PM
WAfrican
Professional

I only got the CAI because my current intake is leaking so it is actually a replacement. I also saw that summit had a deal on there 8.5mm wires and I was wondering if they would be worth the extra $10. You can see them here at http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...model/ram-1500

Old 05-03-2014, 05:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Hey, it's on sale. Can't go wrong with that.

Old 05-03-2014, 06:06 PM
WAfrican
Professional

I'll order everything on Monday that way I have time to decide on any new things as well. I also need a new stud for my front right hub. What size would be the right size and is this fix a relatively easy or difficult install? I also plan on doing the plenum fix myself finally but am struggling to find a fuel rail disconnecter on summit. Do they sell them or can I just get them at a auto parts store? I also want to install a pair of 2500 diesel coils along with tow mirrors and was wondering where would be the best place to find these for relatively cheap.

Last edited by WAfrican; 05-03-2014 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:56 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why the hate on champions?

Old 05-03-2014, 08:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Too many occasions where simply swapping out the 'new' champions solved a multitude of performance/no-start issues.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tune up