2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Catalytic converter question.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:51 AM
Nicktsa60
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catalytic converter question.

I have a 2001 dodge ram 1500 4x4 5.2, the truck is from California so it has Cali emissions. I now live in Ohio so I do not have any type of emissions inspections. I have three catalytic converts one right after each exhaust manifold with o2 sensors before and after each one. Then at the very bottom a third catalytic converter right before the muffler it's a good size one too. I found a muffler guy who will cut that third one out and replace with a pipe along with a new flowmaster 60 series muffler single side exit after the rear tire just the the stock muffler did. He said he would also put a crime tip on. Would this hurt my low end, would I gain anything from this mod? So far I have put the 1.7 Harland sharps in and got an SCT tuner from Hemiefever. Thanks for the help guys

Old 05-08-2014, 08:31 AM
CSDavies26
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you have three cats on there it shouldn't hurt your low end and will probably help a little with acceleration since you'll have a less restrictive exhaust...there are better mufflers for performance out there than flowmaster, but the muffler really makes no difference anyway. What really will affect it is the cat delete...it's a crying shame what they make people do to their trucks out in cali....I guess your truck must have a different computer tune and wiring harness since you have 4 o2 sensors...there's only 2 on mine.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:31 AM
CSDavies26
Veteran

Put some headers on and it will help even more...stock manifolds are pretty restrictive from what i've read...

Old 05-08-2014, 08:47 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Surprising you found a shop that will put their jobs in jeopardy by cutting out federal emissions equipment. Ones around me wont touch converters other than to replace them.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:36 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Surprising you found a shop that will put their jobs in jeopardy by cutting out federal emissions equipment. Ones around me wont touch converters other than to replace them.
Third cat is Cali Spec. Not required in Ohio. After all, there are still two cats on there.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:47 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

id cut the two first cats out.

Every other dodge ram in the states just has that big one before the muffler.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:11 PM
Nicktsa60
Amateur

Originally Posted by CSDavies26
Since you have three cats on there it shouldn't hurt your low end and will probably help a little with acceleration since you'll have a less restrictive exhaust...there are better mufflers for performance out there than flowmaster, but the muffler really makes no difference anyway. What really will affect it is the cat delete...it's a crying shame what they make people do to their trucks out in cali....I guess your truck must have a different computer tune and wiring harness since you have 4 o2 sensors...there's only 2 on mine.
Yeah this whole Cali emissions is really a pain, I have double the parts to replace. What muffler would you suggest? I don't want anything super loud just something with a nice rumble and improve the airflow. I am averaging 12 mpgs per gallon which isn't bad, I have the factory 4:10 gears. I am just trying to get some more out of this 318, I know it will never be a performance monster with serious upgrade but every little bit helps. It is a night and day difference with the mods I have already done. Thanks for your help.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:13 PM
Nicktsa60
Amateur

Originally Posted by jkeaton
The guys who is going to do does custom work out of his barn. It will be done strictly under the table.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:24 AM
ReadRam
All Star

HSA knows now...

Old 05-09-2014, 08:56 AM
CSDavies26
Veteran

Originally Posted by Nicktsa60
Yeah this whole Cali emissions is really a pain, I have double the parts to replace. What muffler would you suggest? I don't want anything super loud just something with a nice rumble and improve the airflow. I am averaging 12 mpgs per gallon which isn't bad, I have the factory 4:10 gears. I am just trying to get some more out of this 318, I know it will never be a performance monster with serious upgrade but every little bit helps. It is a night and day difference with the mods I have already done. Thanks for your help.
4.10 gears were only factory in the 1500s in the offroad editions...so you must have one of those! As do I...

Anyway, the best mufflers are magnaflow or gibson stainless...the magnaflow will be a little louder i believe but gibson makes a sweet side exit kit that I'm gonna kit to replace mine eventually. Stainless too....nice stuff. Some people like the thrush mufflers...it varies. I think there's a sticky in the FAQ/DIY section with a poll there for users.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Catalytic converter question.