Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2008 Grand Caravan Radiator Fan Relay

Old 06-15-2012, 02:28 PM
flynfall
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Grand Caravan Radiator Fan Relay

I have searched through the forum and taken a few things apart on the van but have not been able to find the radiator fan relay on my wife's 2008 Grand Caravan SXT (3.8L).

The fan will not shut off even with the ignition off. Based on other searches and talking to a mechanic in the family, it was thought that the fan relay should be replaced. I have the new part but so far, I haven't been able to locate it under the hood. (I've looked under the left headlamp assembly but I haven't found it.)

Any suggestions?

Old 06-15-2012, 02:58 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The low speed relay for the radiator fan is located in the TIPM under the hood in location K11. The high speed relay is on its own and is on the drivers side up by the fan assembly.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:47 PM
flynfall

I did find the one in the TIPM and swapped it last night with another of the same part number with no change.

The high speed must be the one that I am not finding. The replacement part I purchased is fairly large and has what appear to be cooling pins on it. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...er=419969_0_0_
It should be easy to find (unless I was sold the incorrect part--though a couple of sites came up with same part). I can't seem to locate it near the fan assembly on the driver's side. There is a relay in that area (56007078) but none of the parts sites appear to indicate that as related to the fan.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:43 AM
Alacran60622
Default Same issue with relay

I also have 2008 caravan 3.3L and also have the same problem can't find the relay that has the pins and it's pretty large, I spent like 3hrs trying to find it and had no luck, hope to see that you Flyandfall found it and maybe you can help me find it on my caravan.

Thanks

Old 05-30-2014, 10:26 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the picture in the link is what they sold you, it is wrong. That is a radiator fan relay for the 2007 and older vans. High speed relay on the 2008 is a normal relay, just larger to accommodate the higher amperage.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:25 AM
Alacran60622
Default Checked for fan relay

This year of car doesn't have a relay, I asked the dodge dealer and they said they changed it when they changed body style. The only thing I found was the RESISTOR that goes on the fan and that might replace the fan relay, it was funny cuz I gave them the part number and they were like we have no knowledge of this part im going to change the water pump and had recently changed the radiator and thermostat, will keep u guys up dated with any progress.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:26 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alacran60622
This year of car doesn't have a relay, I asked the dodge dealer and they said they changed it when they changed body style. The only thing I found was the RESISTOR that goes on the fan and that might replace the fan relay, it was funny cuz I gave them the part number and they were like we have no knowledge of this part im going to change the water pump and had recently changed the radiator and thermostat, will keep u guys up dated with any progress.
That's odd. I'm looking at the 2008 wiring diagram and it is showing a high speed radiator cooling fan relay isolated by itself and and a low speed radiator cooling fan relay in the TIPM just as Tizz1, a tech, described. These relays have been discussed in numerous threads on several forums. I would hope you misunderstood what was said because it's hard to imagine (or is it?) a dealership would tell you something so blatantly incorrect. If that's really the case you need to find a dealership with a clue.

Last edited by Cougar41; 05-31-2014 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:53 PM
jmorrissccoast
Default If it helps....

I have a 2009 TC...and the High speed relay was located close to the radiator. On the right side if your looking at the windshield. About mid-way the radiator, just follow the power wires from the center connector on the fan. It will lead you right to it. It's screwed to the front support and I had no issue finding a replacement online or at the local auto parts store (they do have to order it though). My TC has began to run above normal temp...right at half way the gauge I think the relay went bad because I can never see the fan run. I unplugged the connector and applied 12volts and the fan ran with no issues so I know the fan actually works. Could be the control voltage or sensor haven't had a chance to test the really yet. Was in the process of looking for a data sheet when I cam across this Thread.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:08 PM
jammarakc

Need help on 2008 T&C touring with the 3.8. Had a radiator leaking so I replaced it with a new one from the dealer. After I install it I took it for a test drive and noticed that it was running hotter than I remember. When I got home ,with the engine still running, I open the hood and noticed that the cooling fan was not on. I found both relays and checked them ,out of the car, with battery voltage and the relays clicked and contacts closed. I also applied batt. voltage to the output contacts of both relays and the fan operates as it should, low and high speed. Also the low speed did click on, after a few cycles, of the A/C being turned on. I'm thinking that something is wrong and that may be why I had replace the rad. But don't know where to go from here. Thanks in advanced.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:50 AM
Alacran60622
Default Been there done that.......

Originally Posted by jammarakc
Need help on 2008 T&C touring with the 3.8. Had a radiator leaking so I replaced it with a new one from the dealer. After I install it I took it for a test drive and noticed that it was running hotter than I remember. When I got home ,with the engine still running, I open the hood and noticed that the cooling fan was not on. I found both relays and checked them ,out of the car, with battery voltage and the relays clicked and contacts closed. I also applied batt. voltage to the output contacts of both relays and the fan operates as it should, low and high speed. Also the low speed did click on, after a few cycles, of the A/C being turned on. I'm thinking that something is wrong and that may be why I had replace the rad. But don't know where to go from here. Thanks in advanced.

I to was having the same issues as u can see from above in the past replys.

I changed the water pump, thermostat, radiator, hoses, relays, and there is no temp relay for the fan. God I spent a hell of money on this van when I had it.

Here is what I recomend u do check ur oil and make sure it doesn't look like creamy color like a coffee with milk sort of color, and also buy ur self a radiator test kit, cuz if it keeps heating up u might have a engine head crack maybe a small crack but that will do it to over heat ur van. I'm telling u this cuz I did everything u did and more and that radiator test kit let me know I had a cracked head in the engine and I wasn't going to spend around $3500 bucks to fix it so I decided to trade it in, don't get me wrong I'm still a Dodge guy but now I have Jeep still the same family.

Hope this works anything else I can help I would try my best. Any other questions on that van I have lots of experience with anything on that van since I did all my own work on it, I just don't like another touching my cars cuz at least u know what's gong on

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2008 Grand Caravan Radiator Fan Relay