1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Third Brake Light CAN BUS (Multiplex)???

Old 06-17-2014, 12:48 AM
robomow
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Third Brake Light CAN BUS (Multiplex)???

2002 Dodge Durango SLT Plus, 4.7 L., two (2) wheel drive, 45RFE Trans, 186,000 miles.

OK I have searched all over and Googled until my goggles have ceased to function. I want to replace at least the third brake light bulbs ...... also known as the high mount brake light bulbs with LEDS. Can anyone tell me if these bulbs are on the Multiplex network ....... also known as or similar to a CAN BUS network?

I would also like to replace the marker lamps on this dodge with LED bulbs. Any possibility someone has a wiring diagram showing the bulbs the Body Control module can "see" and pulls information from??

I know these circuits can be controlled the body control module because I have seen them blink furiously when my body control module went out. Does the module or any other computer check the resistance or loads on these circuits. This would be really important if the ABS system reads the brake lights. Although the more think about it I would get this signal straight from the brake switch. But you never know anymore. Hence I am asking for your help.

Thanks

Old 06-17-2014, 12:49 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

2002 is PCI BUS. DO whatever you want. The brake lamps are not driven by the Central Timer Module so you're good.

The tail lamps ARE, but it's only a ground circuit to close the park lamp relay.

Last edited by TNtech; 06-17-2014 at 12:56 AM.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:24 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by robomow
2002 Dodge Durango SLT Plus, 4.7 L., two (2) wheel drive, 45RFE Trans, 186,000 miles.

OK I have searched all over and Googled until my goggles have ceased to function. I want to replace at least the third brake light bulbs ...... also known as the high mount brake light bulbs with LEDS. Can anyone tell me if these bulbs are on the Multiplex network ....... also known as or similar to a CAN BUS network?

I would also like to replace the marker lamps on this dodge with LED bulbs. Any possibility someone has a wiring diagram showing the bulbs the Body Control module can "see" and pulls information from??

I know these circuits can be controlled the body control module because I have seen them blink furiously when my body control module went out. Does the module or any other computer check the resistance or loads on these circuits. This would be really important if the ABS system reads the brake lights. Although the more think about it I would get this signal straight from the brake switch. But you never know anymore. Hence I am asking for your help.

Thanks

Make sure the replacement LED's are red... the white ones going thought the factory lens make it come out really dim... I would buy one of the LED replacement of Ebay for like 30 bucks.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:01 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I went through a ton of different pnp led bulbs to find ones that were bright enough to use in my 3rd brake light. This style led was just as bright as the incandescent bulb it replaced. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-of-T10-Wedge-LED-Trunk-Cargo-Light-9-Flux-Red-Light-Bulbs-One-Pair-2825-/191205357799?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c84ba38e7&vxp=mtr

And oldschool is absolutely correct about wanting to use the same color led as the lens they're shining through. Long story short, leds don't produce the entire light spectrum like incandescents do, so for example a white led produces almost no red light to make it through the lens.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:12 PM
robomow
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is old but just wanted to let anyone reading know I bought mine from Super Bright LEDS and ordered them online. Make sure you select the correct color. I ordered red and the work great.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Third Brake Light CAN BUS (Multiplex)???