3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear axle limited slip gone?

Old 06-19-2014, 04:19 PM
johnnyrocket5363
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear axle limited slip gone?

My 2003 2500 was bought as a project. The motor and rear axle were both locked up. I rebuilt the motor, then used it to snap the rear end loose. But now when I make a tight turn, the truck has almost no propulsion until I straighten up, then it shudders once or twice and I can go. My AAM 11.5, from what I've read, uses worm gears. Is it rebuildable, or do I need a new unit?

Old 06-20-2014, 08:46 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Wouldn't it have been a good idea to inspect it thoroughly and find out why it was locked up to begin with before forcing to to break loose? There was obviously damage to begin with and probably more now.

Only way to know if it can be rebuilt it to take it out and inspect the damage

Old 06-20-2014, 10:20 PM
johnnyrocket5363
Captain

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Wouldn't it have been a good idea to inspect it thoroughly and find out why it was locked up to begin with before forcing to to break loose? There was obviously damage to begin with and probably more now.

Only way to know if it can be rebuilt it to take it out and inspect the damage
Better, yes, but I was broke by the time the motor was finished. I can afford to rebuild it now, the truck has been faithful and carried me to a place where I can fix him. My question is whether or not the factory limited slips can be rebuilt. Any info? Should I look toward the aftermarket?

Old 06-20-2014, 10:37 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Sure. It can be rebuilt, or replaced depending on how deep your pockets are

Old 06-20-2014, 10:48 PM
johnnyrocket5363
Captain

Sure. It can be rebuilt, or replaced depending on how deep your pockets are
PLEASE elaborate. My pockets CAN be deep if need be, but the bed has been mangled, the tailgate's broken, the fuel pump's whining and the factory radio sucks. If I rebuild it, I want it to last, but if there's a better option I want to know. That's why I turn to you gurus. Is it worth fixing? Or is my money better spent on aftermarket? I want bang for buck here. By the way, no one's voiced their opinion on what's broken.....

Last edited by johnnyrocket5363; 06-20-2014 at 10:52 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:51 PM
johnnyrocket5363
Captain

BTW, there's this weird occurrence where the rear end "clicks" and the brake and ABS light come on.... What's that about? Then after a while they go out....

Old 06-20-2014, 10:52 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Come on man. You gotta know there is no way of knowing how much it costs to fix when you dont even really know what the problem is. Could be a $5 fix or a $2000 fix.

Then on top of that, how are we going to give you prices for a shop in your area when we dont know what shop, what parts, what they labor rate is in your area or anything else.

The best thing for you to do is either tear it down yourself or call some shops in the morning. But they wont be able to give you an accurate cost either w/o looking at it.

Sorry boss. Iu know you want a better answer but thats the best and most honest you are going to get without you knowing more

Old 06-20-2014, 11:17 PM
johnnyrocket5363
Captain

Come on man. You gotta know there is no way of knowing how much it costs to fix when you dont even really know what the problem is. Could be a $5 fix or a $2000 fix.

Then on top of that, how are we going to give you prices for a shop in your area when we dont know what shop, what parts, what they labor rate is in your area or anything else.

The best thing for you to do is either tear it down yourself or call some shops in the morning. But they wont be able to give you an accurate cost either w/o looking at it.

Sorry boss. Iu know you want a better answer but thats the best and most honest you are going to get without you knowing more
Friend, I appreciate the advice. I plan on fixing it myself. But I'm asking for an evaluation. I'm scared to crack the case open because I'm afraid of what I'll find. I'm sure you can understand, due to the "snap it loose" story. He still gets me to work everyday, after all. What i'm asking, literally, is,

1. Am i right in suspecting that the Limited Slip took substantial abuse in the "Reawakening"...

2. Do my current woes sound like a Limited Slip failure, and...

3. Is the factory unit rebuildable, or should it be replaced, or is it not worth the effort due to new technology?

This rig is my daily driver, and the more info I arm myself with, the shorter a time he's down. That's the reason for this post.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:08 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted by johnnyrocket5363
Friend, I appreciate the advice. I plan on fixing it myself. But I'm asking for an evaluation. I'm scared to crack the case open because I'm afraid of what I'll find. I'm sure you can understand, due to the "snap it loose" story. He still gets me to work everyday, after all. What i'm asking, literally, is,

1. Am i right in suspecting that the Limited Slip took substantial abuse in the "Reawakening"...

2. Do my current woes sound like a Limited Slip failure, and...

3. Is the factory unit rebuildable, or should it be replaced, or is it not worth the effort due to new technology?

This rig is my daily driver, and the more info I arm myself with, the shorter a time he's down. That's the reason for this post.
1) something def too abuse if it was locked up. Forcing it to break loose likely caused more issues and damage. Broken teeth, bad bearings, broken clutch packs, ect.

2) Yes, the rear diff has failed. But you already knew that when it was locked up. It didnt lock up because it was tired. It locked up because it was abused or neglected. no/low oil or other mechanical failure

3) Yes the OEM unit is rebuildable but again, it depends on the amount of damage and where at. You might not only have differential damage but carrier damage as well. Only way to know it to open it up

Old 06-21-2014, 12:29 AM
johnnyrocket5363
Captain

1) something def too abuse if it was locked up. Forcing it to break loose likely caused more issues and damage. Broken teeth, bad bearings, broken clutch packs, ect.

2) Yes, the rear diff has failed. But you already knew that when it was locked up. It didnt lock up because it was tired. It locked up because it was abused or neglected. no/low oil or other mechanical failure

3) Yes the OEM unit is rebuildable but again, it depends on the amount of damage and where at. You might not only have differential damage but carrier damage as well. Only way to know it to open it up
Okay, my friend. I really appreciate your input. Now, how great it the factory unit? If you were me, would you steer toward an aftermarket? For additional info, this is a daily driver/ tow rig. I never know when I need to tow but when I do, I expect him to be up for the task. Not much off road, but a little

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear axle limited slip gone?