2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What to do to new-to-me truck first?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 01:22 PM
yamichi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do to new-to-me truck first?

The wife and I bought 2.5 acres and promptly did what any red-blooded American would do. Since we already had guns, we bought a Ram 1500!

2001 1500 4WD Laramie SLT 5.9
I don't know which rear end is under her yet and am not sure how to tell but I'll google that shortly.

Anyway- she's got 225k miles on her, pulls to the right, and needs tires but we're in love. I've done pretty extensive work on my Saturns, my Supra, the wife's Jeep XJ and mom's Passat but I think the engine in the truck outweighs my current econobox so where do I start? I'm new to trucks and new to Dodge in general but this is what I've got so far...

Fresh oil and filter
New air filter
Flush coolant
replace differential fluids
Fresh tranny fluid
Figuring out why the horn doesn't work
Clean/polish headlights

Anything I need to look for specifically on this model? With my saturn it was just a thing- you buy a used Saturn, you replace the coolant sensor, clean the throttle body and PCV. What should I be looking for on this gal?

Thanks, y'all!

Old 07-03-2014, 02:08 PM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats and welcome to DodgeForum! First thing to check is the plenum. If it hasn't been fixed yet it's blown and leaking oil into the intake. it's the bottom plate of the intake. the gasket leaks. A known defect in our trucks. Requires removal of the intake(keg) to fix. See here https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...um-thread.html

Old 07-03-2014, 11:06 PM
armynurse
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should have a Chrysler 9.25 axle in the rear, and a Dana 44 up front.

If it's going to be a farm truck, you might want to consider doing away with the vacuum central axle disconnect thing and get a perma-lock installed. You can install it in your driveway.

Quick Reply: What to do to new-to-me truck first?