4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

help!

Old 07-12-2014, 10:10 PM
cansasky
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help!

just picked up a 2011 ram about a month ago.. today i was running home to grab some tools, pulled up to the garage, shut it off and when i got back in it wouldn't start, the etc light is on the dash, it will not even attempt to turn over, i removed and cleaned the tb, no luck, pulled the cables off the battery and let it sit, still no luck,, the battery tests ok, no corrosion on or under the fuse box, fuses all test ok... does anyone know of this issue, should i break down and buy a new tb? start checking wires?? maybe a relay somewhere....i'm kind of at a loss
any help would be greatly apreciated

Old 07-13-2014, 09:08 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 333 Likes on 297 Posts

Welcome to DF. Please read the section descriptions so you post in the correct area. Moving for you.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:46 AM
bluebeast1562
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your issue, that is pretty strange. Anyway to bring back to the place you picked it up from? Call the prior owner and ask if he or she had issues such as this or installed some type of "kill" switch that was not mentioned.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:58 AM
cansasky

i had that thought, i'm stuck until monday as i bought it from a dealership out of town.. i've read about a neutral switch issues so i've tried having it in neutral to try to start it, also checked out linkages on the transmission, everything seems ok.. i'm working on lining up a reader to see if its pulling any codes etc.. curious to see if im getting proper voltage at the pedal vs to the servo in the tb but for now i was just curious to know if anyone else has had a similar issue kind of thing

Old 07-13-2014, 03:06 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When you say "it will not even attempt to turn over", do you mean it cranks but won't fire up?.

Old 07-13-2014, 04:10 PM
cansasky

no it seems to have locked out the ignition process all toghether, will not crank... just gives me the red lighting bolt on the info center

Old 07-13-2014, 06:04 PM
sottis
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

what is 'tb'?

Old 07-13-2014, 06:21 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok, perhaps its the key itself, have you tried a different key? On my vette, a common problem is the anti-theft system. If the system does not recognize the key, it does the same thing.

If you have a volt meter, put one on the starter solenoid and see if you are getting 12 volts there when trying to start the engine.

In the DIY section of this forum, there is a link to a website with the electronic diagrams.

https://techauthorityonlinedemo.extr...ew/classic.htm

Last edited by Pedro Dog; 07-13-2014 at 06:35 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:11 PM
cansasky

I've tried both key fobs, one of them i recently replaced the battery... still no luck, havn't had a chance to check the starter solenoid as the computer in the truck its telling me its something to do with the electronic throttle control.. so either the the tb (throttle body) or the pedal assembly from what i've read... also read of issues with a faulty temp sensor causing computer gremlins.. id like to have some solid info on the problem if and when i tow it too the shop, if it is the tb i'll just order aftermarket and replace it myself but if its in the wireing.. well that harness is pretty scary looking, think i'll pay someone to look into that

Old 07-13-2014, 10:03 PM
NV290
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sottis
what is 'tb'?
Throttle Body

Search this Thread