3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

More power... cam, TC...?

Old 07-13-2014, 10:54 AM
redalty
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default More power... cam, TC...?

Looking to get a few more ponies and wondering if anyone has looked beyond the typical intake/ exhaust/ tuner. That's where I'm at and a supercharger just isn't in the cards or really that interesting to me. Seems like one could do the Comp 260 cam with 6.1 springs and pushrods for a fraction of what the other option is. Convertor would be after that but not required with the 260. Any input?

Old 07-13-2014, 12:15 PM
budoboy1
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redalty
Looking to get a few more ponies and wondering if anyone has looked beyond the typical intake/ exhaust/ tuner. That's where I'm at and a supercharger just isn't in the cards or really that interesting to me. Seems like one could do the Comp 260 cam with 6.1 springs and pushrods for a fraction of what the other option is. Convertor would be after that but not required with the 260. Any input?
I feel like a higher stall converter in these would make the biggest difference. They are dogs off the line

Old 07-13-2014, 01:16 PM
redalty
Professional

In stock form they do such off the line but with some tuning it's not terrible. I do also realize that it's a 5k# sled you're trying to motivate.

Old 08-15-2014, 03:39 PM
redalty
Professional

Guess I'm going to go ahead and order a convertor since I'll need it with a decent size cam anyways. Looking to do one in the 3200 range. Anyone have any suggestions or experience?

Old 08-15-2014, 05:09 PM
budoboy1
Veteran

Guess I'm going to go ahead and order a convertor since I'll need it with a decent size cam anyways. Looking to do one in the 3200 range. Anyone have any suggestions or experience?
I was told 3200 is max if you plan on towing at all

Old 08-15-2014, 05:36 PM
MIKEon22s
Captain

superchargers out any day now.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:49 PM
redalty
Professional

I got other trucks if I need to tow something. I'd love to go supercharged at some point and convertor will help even more, I feel that other things need addressed first though. Plus that $8k (I'm assuming) price is hard to swallow.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:05 PM
bbtkd
Veteran

The usual engine mods are good as long as they don't confuse the computer into reacting negatively. I think the biggest issue with the latest generation is that they are geared for and shift points programmed for mileage vs. performance. I was disappointed with performance moving from my 2005 Hemi Durango to my 2012 Hemi Durango - even with higher rated horsepower. Want to see an improvement in shift points? Just enable tow/haul - that makes it closer to what it should be and what it was in generation 2 (2004-2009). I think reprogramming shift points, better gearing, and a slightly higher stall torque converter would make a huge difference without engine mods. Or just get an SRT JGC.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:12 PM
redalty
Professional

+$25-30k MORE for a WK2 srt? No thanks, I like my truck. Not sure why that was even suggested... Sean at Hemifever has done a good job with the tune and shift points. Don't believe me, give it a try.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:18 PM
bbtkd
Veteran

+$25-30k MORE for a WK2 srt? No thanks, I like my truck. Not sure why that was even suggested... Sean at Hemifever has done a good job with the tune and shift points. Don't believe me, give it a try.

Suggested because some have made that leap vs modification, but I suppose if you're not up for the expense of a supercharger you're not up for an SRT.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: More power... cam, TC...?