New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

Jppjnu

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 02:23 PM
jppjnu
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jppjnu

Hello- New from Alaska. My 2007 Ram 2500 Big Horn 5.9 4X4 automatic
just started having the brake icon lighting up and flashing. Had it on the rack-they say it's a spring to the emergency brake that's faulty. Est. material cost and labor is $758.00.
Also- after the Dealer took it off the rack the engine light went on and won't go off....! (It had never been on before). They want $156.00 to check that...I'm not a mechanic, but something doesn't add up here. Am I responsible for something that occurred while they were checking it?

Old 07-14-2014, 02:34 PM
djbucky3
Captain

Welcome to the DF family! Head on over to the 3rd gen ram section and post that question As for the engine light, look online (such as amazon) for a bluetooth odb2 checker. Will work with an app on your phone (my favorite app is torque). You can check and see what the code is for less than 20 bucks this way, and check all future codes as well! Good luck!

Old 07-14-2014, 06:49 PM
shadow93
Amateur

Bring your truck over to Autozone and they'll check the code on the engine light for free. As for if you'd be responsible for something they did... well, they have you sign all sorts of **** that probably covers them of all reliability. Before you worry to much about it i would just check the code and see what the problem actually is.

Also, you usually can get a much better price from an individual/shop rather than the dealer. If the dealer is estimating $758, I'm betting you can get it done at a lot better price elsewhere. HOWEVER, if you're truck is still under warranty than it might void the warranty, so you might not have a choice. Not an expert myself, but I would at least start by figuring out which part it is that needs to be replaced then find its price online. Just my recommendation though.

Best of luck, and welcome to the site!

Old 07-14-2014, 10:50 PM
jppjnu

Thank you both for the great advice! I will follow up and post results.