Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Caliper replacement

Old 07-15-2014, 08:46 AM
Jgrady99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caliper replacement

I am wondering if anyone has replaced the rear calipers? I was planning on replacing mine with some aftermarket ones as I am tired of the factory ones seizing all the time. 67000km and I have replaced the rear brakes three times. Chrysler refuses to do anything about it under warranty. Just looking at options. Wondering it replacing them all together will solve the issue. Any feedback is appreciated.
J

Old 07-15-2014, 07:49 PM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

not really the calipers issue. more over the brake pads bracket. I think people said using aftermarket seems to be better, key is that rust builds under the stainless sliders causing pads to stick.
Chrysler sent out that every 20,000km to service them ya bullcrapp but anyways,

Old 07-31-2014, 02:51 PM
1wraith
Amateur

Just replaced my rear brakes and the inside pads were pretty bad. They rusted and were hard to get out. Now I see why people are having problems. Probably sticking pads generates too much heat causing caliper problems and wearing out pads too early.

My calipers weren't frozen. If they were, I would have tried to find a rebuild kit and try some grease that can handle higher temps. I also think that aftermarket pads should help.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:36 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As mentioned, the problem is not the caliper, but the bracket where the Pad slides on. You have to Clean it out thoroughly when you service the brake, and make sure both pad slides in and out loosely and freely.

Also, if you think OE caliper is bad, Aftermarket one are 3 times worst on those integrated parking brake caliper.

Old 12-09-2014, 04:24 PM
rexmanno

My rear brakes hangs up frequently and like DodgeCaravan2010SXT says, it's not the calipers, it's in the stainless sliders, last time I did mine I had to use a hammer and chisel to get the rust out from under them, so now I take mine apart for cleaning every 3 months and things are working out much better, but remember to grease them good too.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:30 PM
Montreal300
Professional

To be honest I haven't looked at the rear brakes, but they're probably the same as other Chrysler products.
The bracket is a cast iron piece that has seats for the stainless spring clips that in turn hold the "ears" of the pads. On other models, I've removed the caliper bracket and had it lightly media blasted just to remove the corrosion then used high heat primer and caliper paint for the complete bracket. It then gets cured in the oven at 350F for about 20 minutes.
When reassembling the brakes, a liberal amount of brake lube between the spring clips and the bracket stops noise and lubricates the two surfaces to keep abrasion of the paint to a minimum.
So far, an annual "remove and clean" is all I have done and the paint has stayed on for 3 years now.
I know the GC is a lot tougher on rear brakes than my other MoPars, but if you can keep the paint on for at least a year, there is less to clean.

My 2 cents.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Caliper replacement