4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Air Conditioning

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 08:27 PM
MikeLeblanc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Conditioning

Hey folks. I have 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie. The A/C was blowing barely cool. I had it recharged and they found and replaced a leak. Worked fine. Now it's back to blowing just cool again. I also sometimes hear like a hissing sound or like a valve releasing steam sound coming from the glove box dash area. Anyone have any ideas or experience with this? Is this the blender door gone? Or would it be the Actuator motor? It's pretty easy to replace the Actuator, more difficult for the door itself I think. Thanks for all your expertise.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:46 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the hissing sound is normal. There are 2 doors, the recirculate/outside door and the blend. The recirculate/outside air is right by the glove box and wouldn't cause the air to go just cool. The blend door is just under the radio in the center console. This is the one that causes the "cool air" problem and it usually the actuator that goes bad and it makes strange banging noises when the gears strip. This one is an easy DIY.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:20 PM
MikeLeblanc

Thanks Pedro. Wish it was an easy fix. Even to fix the blend door from what I've seen involves taking half the dash off. The actuator is easier, it sits behind the center console on the front dash and that's an easy remove. Anyway, as it turns out, it's the evaporator. Which STILL involves at least a full day or more for myself to do it. Or half a day for a shop to do it. So, off to the shop tomorrow.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:49 PM
firedude

I have the exact same problem and just this summer had the system charged as well. The mechanic didn't find a leak but I find it hard to believe there isn't somewhere if it needed a charge. It's stayed cold this summer so far but I'll be following this one...

Quick Reply: Air Conditioning