4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

DIY or spray on bedliner

Old 09-10-2013, 10:30 PM
Nick Ladd
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY or spray on bedliner

so the times has come for me to drop the money on a bedliner but ive run into the dilemma of going with a DIY or spray on liner just trying to get some input as to which DIY are better and if anyone has any info as to how much a dealer charges for a bedliner (mine is slow to respond)so far im looking at at least 400 for a spray on

Old 09-12-2013, 03:34 PM
Duso02
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trucks in good shape, not a beater? Beds not already rusted, dented, etc? Then do it right and have it professionally done. I've done it myself on my Jeep and other vehicles but it never turns out as well. Constantly adding touch-up over the years, etc. (Unless of course you have the facility, the equipment, the experience. Which if you did, you wouldn't be asking!)

Old 07-29-2014, 12:37 PM
casselm103

cant remember the brand I used, but I purchased a gal at pepboys or oreillys, for just over 100 dollars, and used a spray gun, cant remember the size nozzle I used, but I think it said on the instructions. The auto paint store has full plastic sheets, that you cover the whole vehicle, then cut and tape the area you will be spraying, just be sure you use the green tape, it has the best adhesion qualities, when I used it to paint a truck. You will admire the results

Old 07-29-2014, 05:14 PM
NV290
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would without question opt to have it professionally done. You might save a bit of money on materials doing it yourself, but the labor for the prep work and masking is a pretty big undertaking. Every bit of the existing bed paint needs to be roughed up, degreased and then cleaned of any spec of dust. Then you need to mask the whole rear of your cab and a good deal of the bed (the entire bed if you are spraying up and over the rails). For edges pro's typically use a tape with wire embedded so they can cut clean edges when they are done spraying. Then you need to be mindful of the weather (can't be too hot, too cold or too humid). To do it right you're talking a full day of labor with a hand sander.

Or you can go a to a pro, hand them your keys and pay (typically) $400-$450 and let them do it all professionally with a lifetime warranty. Any issues is their problem, not yours.

I have had Rhino Liner put on in my last 3 trucks and have no complaints. Some people prefer LineX which is a great as well. Slightly different look (rougher texture) but quality wise both brands are fine.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:02 PM
rick4dak
Veteran

I had Line-X on my 05 and Rhino Liner on my 02. Both were GREAT. Now I have one that was sprayed in by the dealer. It seems like an equally well-done liner. I would recommend having it professionally done.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:25 AM
casselm103

as i said a plastic sheet is covering the whole vehicle, then cut an tape the area off to be sprayed, this is for people that want to save money, comes out just as good as a professional job, maybe even better, some shops will water down there material, and as far as sanding, using a scotchbrite pad is all that's needed, and some elbow grease, I thought the process was easy, comparative to painting the whole truck, previous to the bedliner coating, that was 95% sanding, 5% painting, if ya get my drift.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:32 PM
thzpcs
Amateur

For DIY, a drop in liner is about as easy as it gets lol. I'd take a look at something like a Dualliner if that interests you.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:48 PM
NV290
All Star

Drop in liners are simple and cheap. But they do not compare to a spray in liner for protection of your truck, noise and non slip of your load. Their is no comparison.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:09 AM
duke07
Professional

Bedrug is a good substitute also. But still spry-on bedliner will give better protection and will last for years.

Old 09-05-2014, 04:53 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I had a BedRug in my 3rd gen for over 10 years and am totally impressed by the product. Even though my 4th gen came with the factory spray-in, I will still be purchasing a BedRug for it. But with the spray in on there, I ain't in a big hurry and can rebuild by savings up from the truck purchase a little first...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY or spray on bedliner