1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

1998 Neon Diagnostic codes Help!

Old 12-09-2005, 07:31 PM
purplepentacle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Neon Diagnostic codes Help!

Please forgive me if this info is already posted. My service engine soon light is on - I have a 98 dodge neon, i checked the codes, they are 12 and 43. I tried to look up the codes, but to be honest, really didn't understand.

I wonder if someone could help out. I am a woman who has been fleeced by mechanics and am new in my area, don't know who to trust and just don't want to be taken for a ride on repairs.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 12-09-2005, 08:09 PM
beerplease
Default RE: 1998 Neon Diagnostic codes Help!

*************** it looks like code 43 could mean a misfire if you have had a recent backfire that would trip that code. if you have backfired , replace the plugs and wires if there not new. wires $22 plugs $ 5 code 12 looks like battery recently disconnected I have seen better code listings for my 95 than the link I posted so yahoo or google your car for odb trouble codes and maybe you will find a list specifically for your 98. Good Luck

*edit* Please do not post links to other sites when we have the info right here on DF.

Old 12-09-2005, 09:55 PM
casper
Legend

OBD 1 codes or OBD 2 codes

12- Direct battery input to PCM was disconnected within the last 50 key-on cycles
12 is no problem just disregard it.

43- Multiple/ single cylinder misfire
Could be a muliple of things from bad plugs or wires to a bad pcm, coil or injector.

55 End of error messages (If you get this only, no errors were found)

You should have also gotten 55, if you didn't there could be something wrong with your PCM

Old 12-10-2005, 06:30 PM
dazzellers_95
Professional

if oyu have more codes, look at this site, ************ , they have every code you need and the faq section on them. good luck.

*edit* Please do not reference any other forums on DF. They are the enemy, lol

Old 12-11-2005, 12:22 AM
casper
Legend

All the diagnostic codes are listed in my above post.

Old 12-11-2005, 12:53 AM
purplepentacle

Thanks for the help, I can deal with that. I did get a 55, just had trouble understanding what code 43 meant as listed couple of possibilities.

could someone give me an idea what the repairs should cost in either situation? I did not have a recent backfire.

I appreciate all of your input and patience, as I know little (not nothing) of repairing cars. Anyway, it's very cool of you.

Thanks again,

Robin

Old 12-11-2005, 01:43 AM
casper
Legend

misfire could be a lot of things. Bad plug, wires, coil, injector

Old 12-11-2005, 08:00 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

Easiest and cheapest way to start is with fresh plugs and wires. Don't other with Platinum plugs, or any other expensive plug... The cheap copper plugs work the best in all but the most built-up Neons. Bosch, Champion, NGK, and a few others make copper plugs that run $1 each or so. They may not be gapped properly when you buy them. Just ask one of the sales people to give you a hand with that, takes all of 10 seconds per plug with the right tool. They may even help you install them, which takes a special socket ($4 or so), a socket extension ($3 or so), and a ratchet ($10 for a nice one), or you can spend $15-50 on a really nice socket kit that will have everything you'll ever need for most jobs.

The plugs only have to be put in a little more than hand tight. The head is made of aluminum, so twist too hard and the steel threads on the plugs will eat away at it.

Wires at a parts store shouldn't run more than $25. Very easy to install. Might want to do them one at a time so you don't lose your place.

The coilpack is a bit pricier, in the $100 range if I recall, but I still have my original after 240k miles now so I don't price them much... That's held on with a few bolts, also pretty easy to install.

After each thing you do, remove the fuel pump fuse for a couple of minutes and see if the code(s) come back. The fuse is in the box right behind the battery under the hood. Pretty sure it's the only 20 amp fuse in there (yellow) and labeled well. I use a Gerber to pull it.

Actually, before you start on any of that, check the connector going into the coilpack (red thing on top where the spark plug wires connect). Mine has a tab broken off and wiggles its way loose every now and then, causing a misfire code. Free fix, just push it back in. I had tie wraps on it for a while to keep it in place, probably should do that again here soon...

Best of luck!

Old 12-11-2005, 06:21 PM
mr340
Muscle Car Moderator

Code 43 could be as simple as a "wet start" (plugs get slightly fouled when starting in cold weather after an extended sit) this happens to my R/T everytime I drive it in the winter because it rarely gets driven. the 43 code tends to show prematurely, I would reset the pcm (remove the Fuel pump fuse for at least 2 minutes) the book says less time, but that usually doesn't work I've had to leave it out for as long as 5 minutes, and see if it comes back. you could also just wait for 50 ignition cycles, and if the problem is gone, the pcm will reset itself. Start there before tossing unnecessary $$ and parts at it.

Old 12-15-2005, 01:41 AM
purplepentacle

Thanks everyone, the thing did reset itself. I appreciate all the help.

robin

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1998 Neon Diagnostic codes Help!