2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

water coming out of tailpipe

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 05:27 PM
dodgeman98
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water coming out of tailpipe

just had my truck runing in the driveway and went out and there was a puddle of water( or what looked like water ) and i seen it drip from the tail pipe. i have never had a car, truck do this befoe that i know of. i have seen this on other peoples trucks before did not know what is the cause, and is this a BAD thing, or normal thanks
derek

this is my first dodge truck

Old 01-08-2006, 05:50 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: water coming out of tailpipe

It's normal...pretty much every vehicle does this. It's just condensation in the exhaust system. In fact, it's what really rots the exhaust out. The muffler is usually the first to go, since it's furthest from the motor and does not have the necessary heat to evaporate the water inside. That's also why it runs out the tailpipe.

Old 01-08-2006, 08:26 PM
1996ramkid
Professional

if you have a lot of water comming out like big puddles and they dont freeze over night and kind of look like oily stains you could have a cracked head because this is what mine did i couldnt hardly keep the coolent full. now that i have new heads it still drips a little like a puddle the size of CD. probley dont have this problem but you never know

Old 01-08-2006, 10:01 PM
dodgeman98

thanks for the info, have not had a problem with losing water from radiator, it looked clear like water an since it has dried cant see any thing where it was wet...

but will keep an eye out thanks for the help
derek

Old 01-08-2006, 11:10 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

yea its normal...no worries just keep an eye on it... ull see the amount of water change with the weather/seasons and will how much moisture is in the air aswell...if it coinsides together...no worries

Old 01-09-2006, 05:19 PM
Racinfan83
All Star

Water is a natural by-product of combustion....so unless your puddle turns a green color like anti-freeze, you don't have a problem.....

Old 06-18-2007, 02:43 PM
althorp

Yes, I also saw a HUGE amount of water come out of my exhaust when I observed the truck going uphill at about a 10 percent grade. More water than I have ever seen come out of a vehicle. This thread is interesting in that it gives me the idea that I can monitor whether the antifreeze levels are changing over time. Thanks for the tip!

Old 06-19-2007, 01:36 PM
JarheadX
All Star

i have never had that happen to any of the car or trucks that i have owned, i always thought it looked cool tho when sum1 gave it gas and it sprayed out

Old 06-19-2007, 06:53 PM
Fox Fader
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with Racinfan, it's the biggest by-product produced by the internal comustion engine. Completely normal.

Old 06-19-2007, 08:52 PM
mopar crazy
Professional

Sort of on the topoic, least as far as stuff coming out of the exhaust tips. I have a stock '81 Z28 and was out driving around ( wasnt driving her too hard ) and once I parked it i was putting the car cover over the rear and noticed some smoke (think it as greyish) coming from the rear tips. As if the car just exhaled from a puff of a cigarette. I dont recall seeing this before and forget what kind of day it was in case that had something to do with it. Is somethign like this normal or is the engine running hotter than it should be. The temp gauge seemed fine from what I remember as well and there is plenty of coolant in the system. Any thoughts?

Quick Reply: water coming out of tailpipe