General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Can the TCM cause these problems?

Old 02-04-2006, 11:03 PM
bcallpres
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can the TCM cause these problems?

I have a 94 Dodge Intrepid ES 3.5 liter Automatic with intermittent problems that occur simultaniously:
1. Transmission won't shift out of first gear
2. Speedometer, Tachometer, and gas guage drop to zero
3. Gear indicator lights don't work
4. No lights in the instrument panel work.
When ignition is turned on, the problem is evident right away by whether or not the instrument panel is live. If no lights come on, I turn the ignition off and try again. Randomly, the problem may or not be there when I turn the key. If I start the car without the gauges working, the transmission will not shift out of first gear while driving. The problem might last a few seconds, or 5 minutes. I've spent hours checking wires, terminals and ground connections under the hood and in the dash. I tried a used PCM with no change. When the problem isn't there, the engine runs like new. It is a smooth running, powerful car. Could it be the TCM, or do you have other ideas?

I have more about this written under "Blast from the Past, Intrepid, 1st generation"

Please help!
Al

Old 02-05-2006, 07:14 PM
bcallpres
Default RE: Can the TCM cause these problems?

Well, it wasn't the TCM. I broke down and bought that today and installed it. Still have the same problems.

Old 02-07-2006, 06:39 PM
SpdRcr

maybe a combo of probs.. a Vehicle speed sensor will cause probs with shifting and speedos.. but sounds like you are losing power to the comp. take a good look at wiring diagram for ign sw. and comp. those cars have funny wiring... like a voltage reg in the computer for example.... is tcm tranny control module? if so look into the main comp. wiring, maybe a loose main fuse?

Old 02-09-2006, 05:17 PM
Mopar tech

There is a BCM (body control module) behind the passengers kick panel. It will cause these problems.

Old 02-09-2006, 10:32 PM
bcallpres

Would the BCM cause the transmission not to shift?

Old 02-14-2006, 11:27 PM
bcallpres

OK, I took a week off to go snowmobiling. But before I did that I tried pulling the BCM out. I took the cover off it and saw a bit of corrosion or build-up around a few components of the circuit board. It was a Sunday night, so I couldn't try getting a replacement BCM from the Junk yard. I sprayed the board down with "wire dryer" and brushed the corrosion off with a clean, shortened, acid brush. My wife drove it the week I was gone. The problems seem to be appearing less frequently. And the three MIL codes I am getting now are 32 EGR system failure, 51 right rear fuel system lean, and 66 No CCD messages from TCM or BCM. Someone responded saying that it could be a short in the back of my fuse box and another thought it could be the BCM. Will check out tomorrow, it's Valentine's Day and my wife wants her legs rubbed. Gotta go

Old 02-15-2006, 03:28 AM
jeeper183

sounds like a typical bus comunication problem, (no gauges,speedo,ect) when problem is duplicated try unpluging TCM, and other module exept PCM(with keyon eng off), notice if the cluster comes back on ,there may be a module that is bringing the bus down.

note DLC pin #2 is PCI bus, votlage needs to be 2.5v . 12v= short to voltage , 0v= short to ground.

Old 02-20-2006, 02:41 AM
bcallpres

The BCM isn't the cause either. Tried replacing that today. By the way - The car I pulled it from must have had the alarm activated because it sounded like I was breaking into my car when I plugged it in.

Jeeper - Do you know which pin I would want on the BCM? I should be able to read the same voltage there, right? I have the lower dash off right now - so it would be easy for me to check there. I would have to remove the battery to get at the TCM.

Old 02-21-2006, 12:37 AM
bcallpres

Spent all night under the dash tracing wires, checking plug connections. All looked good in there. Took the fuse box apart - That looked like new. I've got a new thought... How about the ignition switch? There are ten pins in there. The six bigger ones on the outsides appear to be the starter, on, and accessories. There are four smaller pins in the middle. When I had it out I could not find any connection between any of them in any position of the switch. Any one know what they control or how I can test them?

Old 02-21-2006, 06:44 AM
Chump
Captain

Are your battery cables squeeky clean and tight at both ends? Do any other electrical functions fail like power door locks ot interior lights? Any error codes on the computer? Also if you can get it to fail try wiggling the wiring harnesses while in the failed mode and see if the symptoms change. Also, some of the guys on the Caravan boards were having some strange problems which included no-starts and gauge problems...turned out to be cold solder joints on the printed circuit board on the back of the instrument cluster, wiggle those harnesses also. Maybe check this out?

A/T - Limp In Mode/Erratic Instrument Operation
NO.: 21-35-93
GROUP: Transmission
DATE: Nov. 19, 1993
SUBJECT:
Transmission Limp-In Tachometer or Speedometer Erratic
MODELS:
1994 (LH) Concorde/Intrepid/Vision/LHS/New Yorker
NOTE:
THIS REPAIR SHOULD BE PERFORMED ON ALL APPLICABLE VEHICLES IN DEALER INVENTORY BEFORE THEY ARE DELIVERED TO THE CUSTOMER. CUSTOMER VEHICLES THAT ARE IN THE DEALERSHIP FOR ANY OTHER REASON SHOULD ALSO HAVE THIS REPAIR PERFORMED.
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Transmission in limp-in mode and/or tachometer or speedometer erratic.
DIAGNOSIS:
Inspect the transmission wiring harness at the rear of the engine for clearance at the inner tie rod. If there is not a minimum of 3/4 of an inch clearance, perform the repair procedure.
REPAIR PROCEDURE:
This repair involves inspecting/replacing the transmission wiring harness bracket, P/N 4604744.
1. Locate the bracket that secures the transmission harness to the transmission. On 3.3L engines, the mounting bracket is located below the EGR valve. On 3.5L engines, the bracket is located to the left of the EGR valve.
NOTE:
ON 3.5L ENGINES, REMOVE THE RIGHT AIR DUCT.
2. Check for contact (damaged wires) between the transmission wiring harness and inner tie rod end. Repair/replace the wire harness, P/N 4604900, as necessary.
3. If clearance to the tie rod is less than 3/4 of an inch, replace the bracket, P/N 4604744, making sure to reinstall the harness to bracket.
4. Verify that the harness does not come in contact with the inner tie rod. There should be a minimum of 3/4 of an inch clearance to the tie rod.
5. Verify that the harness does not come in contact with the EGR tube on 3.5L engines or the EGR valve on 3.3L engines.

[IMG]local://upfiles/21718/2608F70B2EFA40F19C790B2D93E8128C.jpg[/IMG]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can the TCM cause these problems?