Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

SR20DET 240sx VS. SRT-4

Old 01-21-2006, 05:20 AM
fhblake04
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SR20DET 240sx VS. SRT-4

My best friend has a 92' 240sx with a SR20DET installed. He got lucky and got a TODA lightweight flywheel and a ballbearing T28 in his motor set. It's not the Disco Potato but its still a T28, he's got a one piece lighweight driveshaft under there too. He recently got every single bushing in his suspension replaced along with Tein springs ang AGX adjustable shocks. He has a 3" exhaust bent from the turbo back in 3 pieces and a Greddy Front Mount. I'm a big 240 guy and I was about to drop a SR in my car but I drove the SRT-4 and fell in love. I think he's going to be some serious comp. for me. He has a small boost leak but other than than in first gear you can nail it and maitain no will slip and boost all the way to 7500 rpms. Turbo kicks in around 3 grand. The SR20DET isn't a tourqe monster but it's fun. I think if we race from a dead stop I'll have no problem getting him. But he's talking about going at a roll, at his advantage in the RPM's, which I don't mind. But if we race at say starting at 45-50, I think it's going to be on. 240's I belive are geared lower in third and fourth than SRT-4's. He's also got a Wal. 255 pump in the works to push more boost. He runs 7psi (stock) now...with the 255 and a T28 he could run 14 very easily. He's def. going to be a handfull then. Have you guys ever raced a car with a SR in it. Thanks!

PS. The S13 240's weight a tad over 2700 pushing 2800lbs and he'd prob put down 210hp as it. almost 260 with 14lbs.

Old 01-22-2006, 04:54 AM
fhblake04
Professional
Default RE: SR20DET 240sx VS. SRT-4

Guys, its just a simple question, there are over 32 hits on the topic but none have posted. I'm kinda disappointed. Either no one has had any experience with the SR20DET and the likes of a Nissan 240sx or you guys just don't want to post bc I'm a noob. It may also be the weekend thing, I'm going to chalk it up to that. Because I didn't pick up that this forum was like that (noob haters). Someone could at least told me to search or something. Thanks again.

Old 01-22-2006, 04:58 AM
American__Muscle
Veteran

I'd chalk it up to people not having enough experience with the sr20det to reply. Sorry if that's disappointing, but it seems better to not respond if you do not have the answer. It has nothing to do with "noob hating".
P.S. It's actually not really a "simple question"...

Old 01-22-2006, 07:31 AM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

My sr N/A was geared 40 first...70 second third 100? 4th well over 130 ......havent driven it in so long....thanks to a rod....but thats in a sentra and most 240s I ever see here are ka powered.... not that I havent seen one but they are fairly nimble. From a roll I promise a challenge for you w/ the supposed setup. Other then that it should be a fun race.

Old 01-22-2006, 10:39 PM
fhblake04
Professional

Well, thanks guys, at least someone can tell me they have no experience with a SR20DET. A simple question it is, has any one raced a 240sx with a SR20DET installed? I didn't ask if anyone has ever swapped at a VH45DE (Infiniti Q45) into a 240sx in here. That would just be dumb, I would go elsewhere. Most everyone knows about the drift carze and that the 240 is one of the most popular platforms.

Old 01-23-2006, 03:21 AM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

race him and find out, bud dont ask us? When you have so many 240sx or 180sx w/ the ka24de, sr20, sr20det, and rb26dett, or vq35de, or even 350 v-8 swaps you cannot really distinguish one from another. unless they stop after a race and pop the hood...sorry we couldnt help, but like i said the det's stateside are rare.

Old 01-23-2006, 06:21 AM
Pressurecooker
Record Breaker

First, I'll be honest and tell you I have no idea what an sr20 det is. Other than some kind of engine. On that note, I'm willin to bet 75% on here are just as ignorant as myself and of the 25% who may know something about it, they probably have not raced one in the same configuration as you described. It's not like theres a lot of those around here or most places. (I live in Kalamazoo) in fact, there are precious few SRT-4's here, so the chances of the two meeting are very small. So this is not such an easy question and not a likely scenario. Also, this may come as a surprise to you, but I can tell ya for sure that the "drifting craze" aint all that happening all over the nation. I have only seen it on T.V. I realize that is big in areas but not here. Here, there are a whole lot of people drag racing snowmobiles. A lot more than participate in drifting. They race on grass, snow and pavement. They race all year round. You could race snowmobiles this way in Texas too, but somehow I suspect they don't and never will. Not to say that drifting will never or has never happened up here, (maybe as an exhibition somewhere)(maybe Detroit) but I suspect it will be a while before it becomes very common. Heck, there was only one autocross event in Kalamazoo all last year. One. I recently lived in Las Vegas where there was an autocross event probably every other weekend and it was great fun to watch. I do miss that. I never saw any snowmobiles in 15 years there either though.
So sorry I cant help, but I'm glad you think enough of us to ask, but I think it to be more of a regional issue. The weekend is a factor to the slow feedback too and we do have a few members from areas where I suspect drifting happens and import cars are more popular. We'll just have to wait to see if they can answer.....

Old 01-23-2006, 03:28 PM
whatneon
Professional

Get it on, then report back. Sharing experience is what these forums are all about. BTW welcome.

Old 01-24-2006, 12:40 AM
mopar222
Veteran

What you have here is a car that is ment to corner, 240, vs a car that is more happy in a straight line. I would put my money on the srt. If he had the rb26det motor, then I would have to pick the 240, the rb26det is a six cylinder that is in the old skylines, and they produced some serious power, it's a shame he didn't opt for that swap. And remember the srt has a more forgiving powerband than the rb20, the srt will pull hard from lower in the rpm band vs. the rb20. so if you catch him in a tall gear he is toast. If he thinks he is going to show you up, he has another thing coming. Thats my 2cents.

Old 01-24-2006, 01:49 AM
fhblake04
Professional

The RB series engine (i.e. RB20DET, RB25DET, RB26DET, and RB30DET) are all very awesome engines. The SR20DET is a very good contender of all 4-bangers. It rivals the Mitzu 4g63 and all Honda 4 cylinders. Some people have gotten as high as 600hp on their street SR20DET. Their really hasn't been a full "drag" attempt on the engine. I've heard of some getting as high as 800hp, 2.2 liter stroked kit. Their have been some 800hp EVO's. Of course everyone knows about the Skylines' and their mighty Godzilla RB26DETT and AWD. The RB's shadow is very big. But the SR20DET is a very capable motor. Not only the SR20DET but the stock engine from the US 240SX which is the KA24DE built and turbo'd has gotten up to the 600hp mark. The tq. band is similar to the SRT-4. But my best friend isn't one to get in over his heels, we now what the SRT-4 can do on paper stock and a SR20DET powered 240SX can run stock (13.9 vs. 14.4). But he isn't stock so it should be a good race. If anyone needs no know something about Nissan, I know a lot. If I don't know it then I know someone who does...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SR20DET 240sx VS. SRT-4