3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:57 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

bypassing the factory amp on premium sound system

Old 01-16-2006, 03:30 PM
boyd98
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bypassing the factory amp on premium sound system

Ok - seems like there are a couple post on this, I myself have thrown out a few, but maybe not specific enough -

Everything I have researched so far leads me to believe that i can NOT replace my factory headunit with an aftermarket headunit, unless I "bypass" the factory amp (premium 7 speaker sound)

To bypass the amp - with the least amount of hassel there are devices/harness out there. The one provided to me by the car audio shop (which has been very little help) is the SVEN4

http://www.installer.com/hilo/sven4.html

I have no clue on how to wire this up, probably because I have not looked at the factory amp yet -

here is where I am lost -

1a. I want to make sure I have to "bypass" the amp. My understanding is the only why the amp will turn on, is through the computer bus of the factory stereo - is that correct - note the description of the sven4 says: Aftermarket Receiver to Factory Amplified System
http://www.cardomain.com/item/PERSVEN4

1b. If I bypass the amp, will my headunit have enough juice to power all 7 speakers - I have heard mixed reviews on this, but I assume the answer is yes -

2. where can i find instructions on the best way to access the amp - Im concerned im gonna deploy the air bag on the passenger side if i start taking all of that apart (stupid maybe)

3. is there someone who has done this or know of a website (specific link would help, cuz i have searched) on how to where to connect what wire to what - looking at the device the sven4, there is not enough length to the harness to connect to the amp - how do i wire this sucker up , im concerned im not thinking of the most efficient way - i want to splice as little as possible - also the output of that sven 4 device, is 4 rca connections, how do those connect to the speaker wires

Thanks in advance -

this is a chore - I'd pay for them to install but the shop can't install until mid febuary, and im confident i could do it, if i had the right documenation

Boyd

Old 01-16-2006, 03:41 PM
DodgeMatrix
Default RE: bypassing the factory amp on premium sound system

Go to http://www.hemitruckclub.com/ and download the Service Manual it will so you where everything is and the wiring involved.

ORIGINAL: boyd98

2. where can i find instructions on the best way to access the amp - Im concerned im gonna deploy the air bag on the passenger side if i start taking all of that apart (stupid maybe)

Old 01-16-2006, 04:34 PM
05ramlaramie
Veteran

just so you know its a PAIN IN THE ***!! lol

the ENTIRE front dash has to come off and the speakers ALL have to be rerouted to the back of a new head unit....It took a professional shop with 2 guyz working on my about 2 hours to install a new head unit and sirius radio. Imagine how long it would take a newbie with no clue how to do it? probably 8-10hours!

but anyway..you shouldnt be near the airbag....you have to take off the glove box and access the amp that is behind and a little below the back of the glove box......then you need to take apart the door sill on the driver side to get to where the rear speakers and front speakers wires are mated.

Old 01-16-2006, 04:39 PM
mazz
Veteran

If you want to bypass the amp, you are really going to end up rewiring everything. If you've got questions now, just wait until you get involved in the project. It's extremely difficult to dismantle the interior if you don't know how to do it. I'd find a reputable shop and go from there. There are no instructions that I am aware of, on removing the amp. The FSM does not even go into any detail.

Old 01-16-2006, 05:04 PM
05ramlaramie
Veteran

yea the shop that worked on my truck left the amp in the truck...just unplugged it....they said they have no clue how to get it out of the housing.

Old 01-16-2006, 05:33 PM
DodgeMatrix

Most factory amps/stereos are a pain in the $%$ to pull out. It all depends personal preference. I personally would rather install my stereo, others would rather pay someone to do it. The reason I like doing it is I know it will be done right. It may take me longer but I know that I have 4 gauge wire going to the block and I know that none of my factory wires have been cut. I have gone both ways but when I had someone else do it I sat there and watched them the whole time and told them exactly what I wanted.

Old 01-16-2006, 05:43 PM
boyd98
Veteran

ORIGINAL: mazz

If you want to bypass the amp, you are really going to end up rewiring everything. If you've got questions now, just wait until you get involved in the project. It's extremely difficult to dismantle the interior if you don't know how to do it. I'd find a reputable shop and go from there. There are no instructions that I am aware of, on removing the amp. The FSM does not even go into any detail.
I really dont want to bypass the amp - i know its not great, but trying to avoid the hassel - Can I use the SVEN4 and my factory amp?

Old 01-16-2006, 06:41 PM
bbunn29

I replaced my factory unit with an aftermarket Alpine unit. I bought it from Crutchfield along with the subs and amp for the truck. I hooked it all up with the harness that came from Crutchfield. When I was done the CD player worked but the radio only had bass coming through. I called the tech support at Crutchfield and he informed me that I had to bypass the factory amp. (I had the Infinity 7 Speaker Premium system). I asked him what I needed to do, he said to take the yellow wire and hook it up with the red wire. Ever since I have not had a problem. I have to say that it sounds damn good too.

Old 01-16-2006, 07:58 PM
boyd98
Veteran

ORIGINAL: bbunn29

I replaced my factory unit with an aftermarket Alpine unit. I bought it from Crutchfield along with the subs and amp for the truck. I hooked it all up with the harness that came from Crutchfield. When I was done the CD player worked but the radio only had bass coming through. I called the tech support at Crutchfield and he informed me that I had to bypass the factory amp. (I had the Infinity 7 Speaker Premium system). I asked him what I needed to do, he said to take the yellow wire and hook it up with the red wire. Ever since I have not had a problem. I have to say that it sounds damn good too.
when you say take the red wire and hook it up with the red wire - what do you mean

the harness i have does have a red and yellow wire -
yellow constant 12v
red 12v turned on by igntion switch

is there a red an yellow wire on the amp??

your set up sounds like this

alpine hu ---------> alpine harness --------> factory harness from your truck ----------> factory amp ------------> speakers
alpine hu --------> rca sub woofer out ---------> sub amp --------> subs

where does the yellow and red wire come into play on your setup

Old 02-15-2006, 03:13 PM
airbornemp108

If you are installing an aftermarked head unit with a built in amp (Pioneer Premier) etc.. You have to bypass the amp or you will burn up the outputs on the head unit. The amp is located under the kick panel on the passenger side.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: bypassing the factory amp on premium sound system