3rd Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

valve guide seals.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 08:57 PM
Doug Buckoll
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default valve guide seals.

Ahhh! getting that puff of smoke every morning when starting the truck then goes away. Looks like I need new valve guide seals. Got one qoute of 3000 thousand. Does this seem about right. The mechanic said the heads have to come off. Any ideas or help with information on this would be great.
2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4 4.7L

Old 05-27-2015, 09:51 PM
Deer Hunter
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! That's almost the cost of a new motor. In the old days, we used to pressurize the cylinder thru the spark plug hole using the air gun. That would keep the valves closed and in place while we removed the springs and seals, replaced and put back together. It used to take two people. One to maintain air pressure and a good seal at the spark plug hole, you don't want to lose pressure or you will lose a valve into the cylinder. Then you will have to take the head off.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:31 PM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

This was happening to a friend of mines Chevy. Turned out the oil drain passages were partially blocked in the heads. Cleaned em out and no more blue smoke in the morning.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:48 AM
Doug Buckoll
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That price was removing the heads, aswell as sending the heads out to get resurfaced. And offcourse replacing all the valve guide seals. However, I think you may have a good point, removing a sparkplug and filling it with air to hold the valve in place. Sounds way better and a lot faster and cheaper. Now just to find someone to do this as the mechanic I talked to won't do it that way. Phone around i guess. Or maybe try myself? Just go to get a proper fitting to attach the air and a removal tool for the springs. Thanks

Old 05-28-2015, 10:16 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Doug, just get a reman engine for that price.

Quick Reply: valve guide seals.