3rd Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

Buyback

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 08:18 AM
Stilt
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Buyback

Opinions? Thoughts? Of government imposing on Chrysler fiat a buyback of up to 500,000 vehicles. 2009 - 2011 Dakotas are on the list. A brief read says vehicle purchase price minus depreciation. (Lol). And they can resell any vehicles they buy. Repairs appears to be an option as well. Of course the govt. Keeps the 105$ million fine....
& I am pretty happy with mine thus far. Would have to be a great offer and then it would be for a new dodge truck.

Last edited by Stilt; 07-27-2015 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Wrong facts
Old 07-27-2015, 09:56 AM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If you get bought out, it will be more than market value.
Heres an article. http://www.wral.com/ap-sources-fiat-...kups/14795712/

Old 07-27-2015, 03:55 PM
rodslinger
Veteran
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default There is some more fine print too...

I read the summary order today. There is a detail about the buyback that the sites aren't listing. You'll only get an offer for buyback if your vehicle falls under one of the recalls and your vehicle has NOT been repaired yet.

If you've already had the recall repair done (pinion nut for us Dakota guys) then the offer won't be on the table.

What I couldn't find is information about what your recourse is if you've had the repair done and you still end up with a problem related to it. I'm not looking to get rid of mine either but if there is a deal too good to pass up then why not? Might be a lot of extra cash on the table for people that want to step up into a newer Ram.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:54 AM
Stilt

Looks like it's an axle issue on the Dakotas. Not steering related.

Old 08-13-2015, 03:56 PM
Stilt
Default Vin # correct

Was a little hard to track down. My truck was manufactured during the recalled time frame. But the vin showed it not under recall. Carfax showed no repairs of affected parts. Chrysler customer care solved the issue. Not all trucks affected.
On a side note they are only offering 10% more. Ie depreciation - off sticker +10%. Definitely no interest there. Lol

Old 09-22-2015, 07:07 PM
Remark
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I received a notice for the pinion nut recall with three options.
1) Make an appointment, take it in for retainer (or repair if needed) and I get $100 gift card for my trouble.
2) Sell it back to them.
3) Trade it in and get trade-in value plus.
My 2011 has 17000 miles and the website estimates $17000 buy back.
With either option 2) or 3), I can't get a new truck without at least matching the amount and then some.
That leaves me with option 1). I called the dealer service dept. and asked if they had the retainer. They were to call me back and didn't. I'm thinking the retainer is just a bandaid because the recall letter says the problem is under sized pinion shaft splines. I think the fix should have been a new ring and pinion set all along. I don't know what to do. I'm thinking about removing the drive shaft and taking a look for myself. If I decide to take it in I'll mark all components so I can tell what was done.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:18 AM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Remark
I received a notice for the pinion nut recall with three options.
1) Make an appointment, take it in for retainer (or repair if needed) and I get $100 gift card for my trouble.
2) Sell it back to them.
3) Trade it in and get trade-in value plus.
My 2011 has 17000 miles and the website estimates $17000 buy back.
With either option 2) or 3), I can't get a new truck without at least matching the amount and then some.
That leaves me with option 1). I called the dealer service dept. and asked if they had the retainer. They were to call me back and didn't. I'm thinking the retainer is just a bandaid because the recall letter says the problem is under sized pinion shaft splines. I think the fix should have been a new ring and pinion set all along. I don't know what to do. I'm thinking about removing the drive shaft and taking a look for myself. If I decide to take it in I'll mark all components so I can tell what was done.
Bummer. I sure didn't consider that a new Ram is $35k or so. Don't guess they'd let you buy something off the used lot with that credit?

Old 09-23-2015, 08:52 PM
Stilt

Originally Posted by Jaded
Bummer. I sure didn't consider that a new Ram is $35k or so. Don't guess they'd let you buy something off the used lot with that credit?
Toyota gave their owner 2.5 times the vehicles value. Dodge giving plus 10%. Not worth it to me.

Quick Reply: Buyback