3rd Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

05 Dakota with engine Tick, Stops at 1500 rpm in gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 01:37 AM
detailpro916
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Dakota with engine Tick, Stops at 1500 rpm in gear

So I Just got a 05 Dakota 3.7 v6 42rle auto trans, bought it with engine tick not really a knock doesnt sound like a spun bearing. noise is there all the time in neutral. Noise slightly gets faster sounding with raising of rpm's, but when engine is in gear, reverse or drive and you get it up to around 1500-1700 rpm noise disappears completely, but noise comes back after the 1700 ish rpm mark. Any ideas? Truck has high miles just over 200k it had a bad #3 coil pack causing a miss fire but fixed that. now I really want this noise gone before it gets any worse. It needs a oil change real bad that's my next step, just wondering why the noise goes away in a certain rpm range and only when in gear. If I'm in Park or Neutral and raise the RPM's its still there only goes away in gear, and yes I'm positive its the engine and not the tranny making the noise and it sounds like its coming from the driver side if looking under the hood can't tell if its upper or lower end kinda sounds like lower end but not 100% sure. Oh yeah took that valve cover off to see if anything was loose and everything was tight for the most part and no metal shavings or anything like that in the oil.

Sorry for the run on sentences and poor grammar I hate typing lol

Old 07-31-2015, 10:42 PM
detailpro916

Come on man no ones got any ideas?

Old 08-01-2015, 07:28 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

could possibly be a bad oil pump starting to go, at lower rpms its not pushing enough oil as to higher rpms

Old 05-03-2021, 01:49 PM
Matthew Birmingham

Originally Posted by detailpro916
So I Just got a 05 Dakota 3.7 v6 42rle auto trans, bought it with engine tick not really a knock doesnt sound like a spun bearing. noise is there all the time in neutral. Noise slightly gets faster sounding with raising of rpm's, but when engine is in gear, reverse or drive and you get it up to around 1500-1700 rpm noise disappears completely, but noise comes back after the 1700 ish rpm mark. Any ideas? Truck has high miles just over 200k it had a bad #3 coil pack causing a miss fire but fixed that. now I really want this noise gone before it gets any worse. It needs a oil change real bad that's my next step, just wondering why the noise goes away in a certain rpm range and only when in gear. If I'm in Park or Neutral and raise the RPM's its still there only goes away in gear, and yes I'm positive its the engine and not the tranny making the noise and it sounds like its coming from the driver side if looking under the hood can't tell if its upper or lower end kinda sounds like lower end but not 100% sure. Oh yeah took that valve cover off to see if anything was loose and everything was tight for the most part and no metal shavings or anything like that in the oil.

Sorry for the run on sentences and poor grammar I hate typing lol
Hey man, grasping for straws here. Did you ever figure out this knock/tick? I’m having the same exact issue.

Old 05-04-2021, 10:17 PM
pilotsmack
Professional
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

its a 6 year old thread dude.

Old 05-04-2021, 10:22 PM
Matthew Birmingham

Originally Posted by pilotsmack
its a 6 year old thread dude.
I know! Like I said, I’m grasping for straws!!

Old 05-11-2021, 10:50 PM
Bear Church

Originally Posted by Matthew Birmingham
Me too

Old 05-15-2021, 07:23 PM
erau
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey man, grasping for straws here. Did you ever figure out this knock/tick? I’m having the same exact issue.
Originally Posted by Bear Church
Me too
Just a shot in the dark, but with the known issue of broken exhaust manifold bolts/studs on these trucks, could an exhaust leak possibly be the answer? It would make sense that the "tick" might remain while in Neutral (engine is not applying a torque load against the drivetrain, so the engine won't "rock" much and try to bend the exhaust system with it) but go away at certain RPMs while in gear (engine *is* applying a torque load against the drivetrain, causing the engine to "rock" opposite the torque direction and bend the exhaust system, which may temporarily close the leak between the exhaust manifold and the cylinder head).

If nothing else, I would look for broken exhaust manifold bolts/studs and signs of an exhaust leak around each cylinder head.

Last edited by erau; 05-15-2021 at 07:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BEMOUSE86 (02-08-2022)
Old 08-18-2021, 12:36 AM
Helms119

Im currently replacing lash adjusters and rocker arms on my 2007 ram 1500 with the 4.7l. The lash adjusters tend to collapse on these trucks.

Quick Reply: 05 Dakota with engine Tick, Stops at 1500 rpm in gear