3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

I she trying to tell me something?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 03:31 PM
BIGDummby
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is she trying to tell me something?

Hey y'all, initial post here. First off, thanks for all the help spending my money! So far Superchips, Rancho struts, and Sensa-tracs have been added. In the near future CAI, TB, and 4.10's are planned, but before any of that, there is an issue that needs fixing:

My truck (05 Laramie 4.7, 4X4, tow package, 70k miles) has had the ATF fluid overheating light coming on intermittently. It does not come on while towing or driving down the highway, only after a stop, and no slippage is noticeable. The light typically comes on about a block after sitting at a red light or at a drive-thru, then goes out about a block later. The dealer changed the fluid and filters; did not help. Codes P0868, line pressure low, and P0713, transmission temperature sensor high, are stored, but the dealer cannot determine what caused them, only something about it happening in 5th gear. The tech could not make the light come on. However, it still comes on for me unless the truck is put into neutral when standing still. Another shop suggests an aftermarket transmission cooler. The dealer wants the truck left for 2 days while they tear into the tranny. Do any of you experts have any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions?

Thanks,
Dummby

Last edited by BIGDummby; 08-09-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:43 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would say the tranny cooler is plugged, when driving the cool air blows over the cooler, while sitting it will tend to heat up, open the hood and check to see if the fins on the cooler are plugged with bugs and debris, you may have to clean the fins out

Old 08-06-2011, 08:52 AM
EliteTempleton
Veteran

Originally Posted by BIGDummby
Hey y'all, initial post here. First off, thanks for all the help spending my money! So far Superchips, Rancho struts, and Sensa-tracs have been added. In the near future CAI, TB, and 4.10's are planned, but before any of that, there is an issue that needs fixing:

My truck (05 Laramie 4.7, 4X4, tow package, 70k miles) has had the ATF fluid overheating light coming on intermittently. It does not come on while towing or driving down the highway, only after a stop, and no slippage is noticeable. The light typically comes on about a block after sitting at a red light or at a drive-thru, then goes out about a block later. The dealer changed the fluid and filters; did not help. Codes P0868, line pressure low, and P0713, transmission temperature sensor high, are stored, but the dealer cannot determine what caused them, only something about it happening in 5th gear. The tech could not make the light come on. However, it still comes on for me unless the truck is put into neutral when standing still. Another shop suggests an aftermarket transmission cooler. The dealer wants the truck left for 2 days while they tear into the tranny. Do any of you experts have any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions?

Thanks,

Dummby
Because you make use of your tow package the aftermarket transmission cooler is a good idea anyway. It may not help your codes but it will help your transmission.

I keep reading that you want to use OEM Filters, which the dealer would have used so that's good.

IMO, I would have had them put in your favorite Synthetic fluid when they did the service, especially because Dodges are known for transmission problems (until 2008) so it's worth the extra cash if nowhere else to switch the transmission to Synthetic. Don't use any snake oils either.

Is the 2 day dealership transmission work covered under warranty? If so then go for it, they may replace lots of worn parts trying to figure it out, so even if you find out in the end it's just a bad sensor, you still may get a free rebuild out of it. Plus you could have them change out the fluids while they are at it.

That's all I've got, my transmission issues with my 2002 Dak were solved with a filter change and swapping fluids to Royal Purple. My issues though were limited to slippage mostly and at nearly 100k.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:23 PM
BIGDummby
Default Thanks!

Thanks guys, the truck must have felt the awesome mojo from this forum, because after posting, the problem has not reoccurred! A tranny cooler is going to be the next addition. Is there a recommended brand?

Old 08-09-2011, 06:13 PM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know what I am wondering... I just hit 70,000 miles and I had this same issue.

I wonder if there is some type of system warning that is set for trans flush.

Has never come back on, checked the temp with the superchips and it said everything was normal. Would only come on after a block of driving, then shut off a block later.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:34 PM
MitsuRaider
All Star

Man as soon as that tranny gives me some trouble, in goes the six speed

Old 08-09-2011, 07:17 PM
Backwoods18
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by MitsuRaider
Man as soon as that tranny gives me some trouble, in goes the six speed
Man.... turbo, six speed, V8...... good thing there's a dodge motor in that thing Jk Nick The 6 speed would be sick

Old 08-09-2011, 11:26 PM
popsnbeer
Captain

I just got done with this exact same problem...they tested the fluid and it wasn't overheating...it was an electrical problem. They put in a new shift solenoid and then pcm and the problem is gone for good. Cost me$ 1300 after both were replaced but it runs perfect now.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:20 PM
BIGDummby

In my last post on this thread the truck was running with no warning lights or codes. A week later it died in the parking lot at work. It would start and run if RPM's were up, but not idle. There were 5 codes, P0508, P0700, P0218, P0714, and P0731. The codes were cleared, and the truck was able to get me home, eventhough my two footed driving skills are horendous. Upon arriving home, only the P0508 had returned. The IAC was replaced resulting in no improvement. The next step was replacing the PCM, and all seems to be well for the time being, at least. Thanks to everyone for all the input, especially popsnbeer for suggesting the PCM! You guys are all farm out, right arm, and outta state! There is one observation though, the tires were set at 30.5" on the new PCM, which is correct, but the old needed to be adjusted from 29". One last thing, do I dare try the Superchips towing tune?