3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Changed My Spark Plugs Today

Old 02-14-2008, 09:57 PM
blackdak06
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed My Spark Plugs Today

So after work today I decided to change the spark plugs on my dakota and install my K&N intake. I have a 3.7L V6 with 47K miles and this is he first time I've changed the spark plugs. The first thing I did was take off the factory air filter assembly so I could access the ignition coils better.

The first two plugs didn't come out so easy and I actually snapped the porcelin tops, but was able to get them out very easily using pair of needle nose pliers. The remaining four came out without breaking, but they all had some common characteristics. There was white residue along the tip of the spark plug which I assume is normal. The plugs were all worn down way more than I expected. The gap for my plugs is supposed to be .042" and the plugs varied from .050" - .075". I used Autolite Iridium XP plugs and am hoping that the gaps stay at .04" where I set them and that I notice some better performance from my truck. I put some anti-seize on the threads so hopefully they come out a lot easier next time.

Has anyone else noticed really wide variences in their spark plugs gap wear from plug to plug? This is the first time I've ever changed spark plugs so I don't know if this is normal or not.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:11 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Changed My Spark Plugs Today

Well when I changed mine they were all gapped differently from the factory, a few others have mentioned that too. I think they just did a really ****ty job of gapping them when they put them together.

Wow, that's funny, **** isn't filtered but ****ty (**** + ty) is? lol

Old 02-15-2008, 12:05 AM
blackdak06
Professional

I just took it out for a test drive with the K&N 63 series intake and the new spark plugs, sounds good when I get it up around 4000RPM in 2nd and 3rd gear, the engine temperature drops down towards 1/4 from just under 1/2 when I get up around 4000 RPMs.

I know I started this tread talking about my spark plugs, but now I have an intake question...

The intake is noticably louder than the stock intake and I don't know if there are any leaks or not, all the clamps seem to be snug, I didn't want to over tighten them. It's hard to feel or hear any leaks with the fan on the truck going. Any suggestions on how to check for air leaks? Or should I just go over everything in a week or so and retighten the clamps?

Old 02-15-2008, 09:25 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

your intake will sound loud, thats just the way they are. let us know how the plugs work out for mileage, most of us went with the autolite 3923 plugs.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:26 AM
sdsdsd
Captain

leaks can be found at idle with 2+2 gum cutter or any type of carb cleaner. Start engine spray area suspected of leaks. If idle changes in a certain spot, you are sucking air at that point.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:36 AM
blackdak06
Professional

The intake sounds good when I'm in the car and I get the RPMs up. Not really knowing what an intake is supposed to sound like I just wanted to make sure it's hooked up right. When I turn the truck on and stand in front of the truck near the hood where the intake is I can hear huge amounts of air being sucked in like a vacume - which I believe is the correct sound, I just want to make sure what I'm hearing isn't air leaking through the seals and such. Thanks "sdsdsd" for the tip on how to check that.

As far as the spark plugs go, any reasons you guys didn't choose the XP Iridium plugs by Autolite and went with what looks to be a standard factory replacement copper core plug? I'd be interested to know, I don't know a whole lot about plugs either.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:04 AM
tasmanohio
Professional

what k&n did you go with?

Old 02-15-2008, 10:06 AM
blackdak06
Professional

The 63 series

Old 02-16-2008, 07:49 AM
sdsdsd
Captain

The XP Iridium plugs are not recommended in the 4.7 causes problems. You will find alot of info posed on this forum about the subject. The proven plug is copper 3923 auto lite one step colder than factory.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:08 AM
VA Dakota
Rookie

Hehas a 3.7L and not the 4.7L but, still,the recommended
plug is an Autolite 3923. But, should be gapped at .035 not .040
the 4.7L has a 0.40 gap.
Check your emissions label under the hood, it will list the factory plug and gap.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Changed My Spark Plugs Today