Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Dakota > 3rd Gen Dakota
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

3rd Gen Dakota 2005+ Dakota's

Changed My Spark Plugs Today

Old 02-14-2008, 09:57 PM
Professional

Default Changed My Spark Plugs Today

So after work today I decided to change the spark plugs on my dakota and install my K&N intake. I have a 3.7L V6 with 47K miles and this is he first time I've changed the spark plugs. The first thing I did was take off the factory air filter assembly so I could access the ignition coils better.

The first two plugs didn't come out so easy and I actually snapped the porcelin tops, but was able to get them out very easily using pair of needle nose pliers. The remaining four came out without breaking, but they all had some common characteristics. There was white residue along the tip of the spark plug which I assume is normal. The plugs were all worn down way more than I expected. The gap for my plugs is supposed to be .042" and the plugs varied from .050" - .075". I used Autolite Iridium XP plugs and am hoping that the gaps stay at .04" where I set them and that I notice some better performance from my truck. I put some anti-seize on the threads so hopefully they come out a lot easier next time.

Has anyone else noticed really wide variences in their spark plugs gap wear from plug to plug? This is the first time I've ever changed spark plugs so I don't know if this is normal or not.
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 02-14-2008, 10:11 PM
Dak attack!
Dodge Forum Administrator

Vehicle: 2005 Dakota 4.7l CC
TXS Dusk
Send a message via AIM to Altair
Default RE: Changed My Spark Plugs Today

Well when I changed mine they were all gapped differently from the factory, a few others have mentioned that too. I think they just did a really ****ty job of gapping them when they put them together.

Wow, that's funny, **** isn't filtered but ****ty (**** + ty) is? lol
Old 02-15-2008, 12:05 AM
Professional

I just took it out for a test drive with the K&N 63 series intake and the new spark plugs, sounds good when I get it up around 4000RPM in 2nd and 3rd gear, the engine temperature drops down towards 1/4 from just under 1/2 when I get up around 4000 RPMs.

I know I started this tread talking about my spark plugs, but now I have an intake question...

The intake is noticably louder than the stock intake and I don't know if there are any leaks or not, all the clamps seem to be snug, I didn't want to over tighten them. It's hard to feel or hear any leaks with the fan on the truck going. Any suggestions on how to check for air leaks? Or should I just go over everything in a week or so and retighten the clamps?
Old 02-15-2008, 09:25 AM
Champion

Vehicle: 2005 dodge dakota

your intake will sound loud, thats just the way they are. let us know how the plugs work out for mileage, most of us went with the autolite 3923 plugs.

13.7 / 101.3 in the 1/4 mile
Old 02-15-2008, 09:26 AM
Captain

Vehicle: 05 Quad

leaks can be found at idle with 2+2 gum cutter or any type of carb cleaner. Start engine spray area suspected of leaks. If idle changes in a certain spot, you are sucking air at that point.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:36 AM
Professional

The intake sounds good when I'm in the car and I get the RPMs up. Not really knowing what an intake is supposed to sound like I just wanted to make sure it's hooked up right. When I turn the truck on and stand in front of the truck near the hood where the intake is I can hear huge amounts of air being sucked in like a vacume - which I believe is the correct sound, I just want to make sure what I'm hearing isn't air leaking through the seals and such. Thanks "sdsdsd" for the tip on how to check that.

As far as the spark plugs go, any reasons you guys didn't choose the XP Iridium plugs by Autolite and went with what looks to be a standard factory replacement copper core plug? I'd be interested to know, I don't know a whole lot about plugs either.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:04 AM
Professional

what k&n did you go with?
Old 02-15-2008, 10:06 AM
Professional

The 63 series
Old 02-16-2008, 07:49 AM
Captain

Vehicle: 05 Quad

The XP Iridium plugs are not recommended in the 4.7 causes problems. You will find alot of info posed on this forum about the subject. The proven plug is copper 3923 auto lite one step colder than factory.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:08 AM
Rookie

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Dakota

Hehas a 3.7L and not the 4.7L but, still,the recommended
plug is an Autolite 3923. But, should be gapped at .035 not .040
the 4.7L has a 0.40 gap.
Check your emissions label under the hood, it will list the factory plug and gap.

"08 Dakota "Big Horn"
Old 02-16-2008, 02:14 PM
Professional

I guess I didn't look hard enough on the forum for the info. I purchased the plugs about 6 months ago and just never had the time to install them until now. So far I have no problems with the plugs and they seem to work fine. What problems were mentioned with using the XP plugs and what should I be watching for so I'm aware if any problems do occur.

The plugs for my 3.7L are supposed to be gapped at .042" according to my dodge dealer and the 2006 Dodge Dakota service manual that I got off of this forum. There is an older post of a bunch of us arguing whether its supposed to be gapped at .035 or .042 and there is a misleading picture in the manual suggesting .035" but when you look at the table it says to gap the plugs at .042".
Old 02-17-2008, 08:15 PM

Well, I changed my spark plugs today to the 3923's in my new 07. The one thing I noticed today in the new Dak that I didn't on the 05 (when I had it) was that it was idling a bit higher (not a ton, buit a few hundred RPMs - like 700 to 900) than it did yesterday running the Champions. I noticed it in the highway as well...cruising at 1900 vs. 1600. Could that be because the Champions suck so much? ...that 3 of thew "Champs" were gapped at .35 vs. .40? ...or does the PCM have to re-learn that it is running a colder plug?

It still amazes me that one temperature step helps out so much and that the morons in engineering for the 4.7L engines doesn't get the fact that the Champions make the truck run like ****e! Anyway, if anyone can help with my questions, that would be great. Thanks!
Old 02-18-2008, 07:59 AM

BlackDak06, How difficult was it to replace the spark plugs? You had said that 2 were tight but how easy were they to get to? I am thinking of replacing my plugs at 15k when I change all fluids.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:43 AM
Professional

Changing the spark plugs is more of a lengthy time consuming process than a difficult one. I was installing a K&N cold air intake at the same time because you have to take off your stock intake to get to some of the ignition coils. I also had to remove two torex head bolts that were holding two metal tubes in place to gain easier access to the ignition coils.

If you have a day where you are not rushed and you can dedicate 2hrs (it could take you a lot less time if everything goes smoothly) to changing your spark plugs I would go ahead and do it. Just remember to put anti-seize on the new spark plug threads and torque them to specification. Also, take your time breaking the old spark plugs free they will eventually come out, but if you do snap the porcelin top like I did on my first two then simply stick a pair of needle nose pliers down there and grap the edge of the plug, it will come right out.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:25 PM
Veteran

I did my plugs in my 4.7 in about35 minutes, very easy to do. My truck also makes loud sucking noise when I start it up for about 30 sec, just the sounds you hear with the 63 intake.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:42 AM
Record Breaker

They were worn really bad huh? Damn, I never want to change those things lol. I know everyone has been sticking with copper replacements, but i see your using the long life iridiums, the truck seems to idle fine? When I change my spark plugs this summer, I want to use a long life plug, so I can throw them in there and forget about them for a long while.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:28 AM
Professional

They were worn really bad, but they'r not in the easiest environment and I also hear that the plugs were gapped wrong on a lot of dakota's from the factory. I haven't noticed any difference with the iridium plugs, I think they work just fine. I've only drove my truck for a day after I changed them though, now I'm in CA for about two weeks. I'll post an update after driving it for about a week so I really see if anything changes, but so far so good.

The main reason I switched to the Iridium plugs was for their longer life and resistance to gap erosion, I'm hoping to change them only when I have to.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:45 PM
Rookie

i changed mine at about 45k and went with 5224 coppers, i am not a big plug intelect, but mine seem to working good. my wife now has a commander with the 3.7l v6 and i think it is the same 3.7 in the dak's. I will probably be changing her plugs soon, i have a 4.7l in my dak so the 3.7 in a new adventure! Do the 3923's work really well in the 3.7 too?
SilverLine exhaust tip
Old 02-22-2008, 08:49 PM
Record Breaker

moe in wichita ks
i have found that spark plug wear is a fuction of chamber turbulance. you can have a gap of .035 to .040 but the turbulace can cause the spark to have totravel as much as 1/4 inch. also rounded edges on the center electrode will kill power very quickly. i have also found that if you form the side electrode in a j shape and put the lowest part of the j halfway across the center electrode, works well on dodge small blocks, 318s and 360s.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:31 PM
Champion

Vehicle: Born and raised in Los Angeles, Moved to Arizona, will never go back

Quote:
ORIGINAL: blackdak06

So after work today I decided to change the spark plugs on my dakota and install my K&N intake. I have a 3.7L V6 with 47K miles and this is he first time I've changed the spark plugs. The first thing I did was take off the factory air filter assembly so I could access the ignition coils better.

The first two plugs didn't come out so easy and I actually snapped the porcelin tops, but was able to get them out very easily using pair of needle nose pliers. The remaining four came out without breaking, but they all had some common characteristics. There was white residue along the tip of the spark plug which I assume is normal. The plugs were all worn down way more than I expected. The gap for my plugs is supposed to be .042" and the plugs varied from .050" - .075". I used Autolite Iridium XP plugs and am hoping that the gaps stay at .04" where I set them and that I notice some better performance from my truck. I put some anti-seize on the threads so hopefully they come out a lot easier next time.

Has anyone else noticed really wide variences in their spark plugs gap wear from plug to plug? This is the first time I've ever changed spark plugs so I don't know if this is normal or not.
Have not changed my plugs yet.

[IMG width=400 height=300]http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee153/jimmydiablo/20130209_152703.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-22-2008, 09:31 PM

Tags
2005, 2006, 47, autolite, change, check, coils, dakota, dodge, ignition, iridium, neon, plug, plugs, spark, xp