3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Has anyone else had to replace their FCM?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 03:58 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by djsilver
Mine has a problem right now. The backup lights don't work. I started by checking the bulbs/wires/fuse. I figured out the fuse is good but I'm not getting an output from the FCM to the hotwire for the lights. I have an FSM and read up on the subject. The reverse signal condition is interpreted by the Transmission control module from a multi-contact "range sensor" on the transmission. The TCM tells the cluster (CCM) what gear you're in on the low speed CAN-bus and tells the FCM on the high speed CAN-bus. My cluster is getting the information, so the range sensor and TCM are working.
I took it to the dealer for a check out. They kept it all day and said they'd scanned it and sent the info to Dodge for more info. I've called back a couple of times and they've said they're still looking into it. I don't think they want me to bring it back....,
The power for the backup lights goes from the fuse to the FCM and from the FCM to the lights. It has to have a relay in it for that to work and I suspect it's burned out.

I work in a power-plant and we have hundreds of input-output cards of various kinds. If we have an output that quits working while we're running, we can't just pull the card because of other stuff that's on it. We'll often switch it to a spare location and re-address it in the control system, until we can make a repair. The FCM has spare outputs but I don't think they know what to do with them...., I'll probably end up putting a microswitch on the shifter and wiring the lights through a separate relay, not connected to the FCM
Djsilver,

Have you heard back from your dealer yet regarding the vehicle's diagnosis?
Do you have any updates? if you are seeking additional assistance reviewing your concern, please PM me and I can review this further with you or you can contact the Customer Care Department at the numbers provided below.

Canada: 1-800-465-2001
U.S.: 1-800-992-1997

Old 03-23-2013, 12:34 AM
EVguy
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Shibby927
Has anyone else had to replace this part? Or am I the only one fortunate to have to shell out $560 on some stupid part that they barely make available to their customers?
The criminal part of this is that you can no longer pick up a used part from the auto recyclers.
These things are VIN coded and even the dealer cant reset the vin in a used module.
I have a used one in my 08 but have the ABS and air bag warning lights on.

Its all about the bottom line for Dodge, they don't want you to be able to install used parts as they make no money on them.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:38 AM
djsilver
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DodgeCACares
Djsilver,

Have you heard back from your dealer yet regarding the vehicle's diagnosis?
Do you have any updates? if you are seeking additional assistance reviewing your concern, please PM me and I can review this further with you or you can contact the Customer Care Department at the numbers provided below.

Canada: 1-800-465-2001
U.S.: 1-800-992-1997
I've called them a couple of times and get "we're waiting to hear back from Dodge" I'll call them again on Monday and, if no more info is available, I'll call the number you've provided.

Thanks!
DJ

Old 03-25-2013, 04:29 PM
djsilver
Professional

I've called them a couple of times and get "we're waiting to hear back from Dodge" I'll call them again on Monday and, if no more info is available, I'll call the number you've provided.

Thanks!
DJ
I contacted the dealership again today and they indicated that they were still waiting information from Dodge/Chrysler. I asked the service rep if they would call and attempt to expidite action, and he indicated they would.

I also called the US Customer Care number. They called the dealer/service manager to verify they had called the Hotline, and they had. I was told that the dealer couldn't progress until they get an answer back from the (service?) engineers.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:09 PM
KS Cowboy
Veteran

Originally Posted by Shibby927
Here's some pictures of the Front Control Module for those who like me before have no idea what the hell this thing is.

Here's to hoping nobody else has one of these things fail. Personally I think it is a pretty damned dumb that they don't have some sort of fail safe in the computer on the vehicle that would keep at least your instrument cluster items, airbags, and abs on even in the event that the FCM fails. Guess that would be common sense but apparently Chrysler would rather me be forced to drive an unsafe vehicle.

Talked to Chrysler for like an hour over the issue. To summarize the conversation:

shibby: "Hey Chrysler I think you guys should man up and reimburse me for the part that you obviously keep in short supply, and that when it fails forces a person with only one vehicle to drive a completely unsafe vehicle. Not to mention my truck has 44k on it and there's no reason for a major computer component to be taking a **** this early. Oh and perhaps in future vehicles this part should be incorporated into the inside of the ICM box so as to better protect it from cold weather and the elements."

chrylser: "Go f yourself you are out of warranty. Thank you come again."
It looks like the PCM (powertrain controll module). IF that is the same thing, I had mine replaced just last year, and i was at 85000 miles. IT was throwing the trans temp warning light on my dash, and probably was what trashed parts of my transmission.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
038.jpg (43.3 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpg
039.jpg (34.4 KB, 230 views)
Old 05-07-2013, 08:17 AM
Shibby927
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KS Cowboy
It looks like the PCM (powertrain controll module). IF that is the same thing, I had mine replaced just last year, and i was at 85000 miles. IT was throwing the trans temp warning light on my dash, and probably was what trashed parts of my transmission.
Nope it's the FCM (Forward Control Module). It basically acts like a hub and communicates to all the other computer components throughout the vehicle. When it goes, it really sucks.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:53 AM
roboengr

I am not sure about all the trouble all have had...

I have an 2004 grand caravan sxt 3.8l

I had an issue with the ABS light coming on. it came on sitting in a parking lot after some time had passed. strange... after 2 years of ignoring this the horn started honking randomly sitting in the drive way. a blaring non-stop honk. hit horn pad and it stops. going down the road it randomly honked. again blaring... then we noticed turning the head lights on it would start it honking.

took the horn pad apart under the airbag. found no issue. turning the steering wheel did not make it stop or start which kinda ruled out the clock spring. Then learned about the FCM unit. My wife recalls the honking started after a Lighting strike near our house but we don't think it was the van. long story short... so far after replacing the FCM from the recyclers it has seemed so far to fix it all. ABS is working the horn works when it is honk by the driver. the ABS stopped so far from coming on sitting.

My next question how can Dodge have so much riding on a single module? Sounds like a class action law suit waiting to happen. But they still can prove the little old lady driving through a store was not a malfunction of the cruise control. Seems dodge would not want to know....

We know the 100k warranty means nothing. they say the engine has to use 3 quarts of oil in 2k mike before Dodge will fix the engine, as i was told by a dealer.

Old 11-26-2016, 12:26 AM
wascobilly
Cool Passenger side low beam headlight

My 2006 Chrysler 300 has a passenger side low beam headlight that turns on for about less than a second then turns off. it does this everytime I turn on headlight. Dealer serviceman says it's the front control module.

Old 11-26-2016, 12:51 AM
djsilverjohnson
Rookie
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I contacted the dealership again today and they indicated that they were still waiting information from Dodge/Chrysler. I asked the service rep if they would call and attempt to expidite action, and he indicated they would.

I also called the US Customer Care number. They called the dealer/service manager to verify they had called the Hotline, and they had. I was told that the dealer couldn't progress until they get an answer back from the (service?) engineers.
I know this is ancient, but I did finally figure out the problem and it was much more mundane than the FCM. I bought the truck used from a dealer. It wasn't an original tow-package model and the previous owner had a Mopar tow harness installed. They installed the wrong one and the hot wire from the FCM to the backup lights was connected to ground instead of the backup lights. It didn't blow the fuse for the backup lights but it must have eventually killed the solid state relay in the FCM, as it doesn't put out 12V when I have it separated from the tow-harness.

Old 11-29-2016, 06:18 AM
Antoniocool

Can you change the relay that blew or did you have to replace the whole fcm? I hate how cars today have so much depending on computers that will always fail. I'm currently having trouble with my pcm :-(

Quick Reply: Has anyone else had to replace their FCM?