3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Check engine light time.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:51 PM
Growlor
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine light time.

I have been having my check engine light show up a few times fir the past couple of days. I assumed it was just a loose gas cap cover (as when I shut down the truck and fiddled with it, that seemed to make it go away. Until yesterday after work, the light went on and I thought "man I gotta have them replace that stupid gas cap." Well, I have a short trip home and it involves a quick highway segment. When I went to get up to speed on the on ramp and hit about 3/4 throttle (I like to zoom on if there's noone in my way) the thing started hesitating (felt a lot like the engine cutting out or backfiring badly.)
Made it home fine (as long as I didn't push it hard it seemed drivable) and took it to the local service shop (there is a really good one around here that most of the people at work recommended.) They fixed it up the same day (under warranty so no cost!) I asked the guy what went wrong and he said it had 2 codes showing, P0340 and P0344, so they replaced the cam sensor. Seems to have resolved the issue. Anyone know what those 2 codes actually mean (he mentioned one of them meant that sensor was failing.)

Thanks,
Growlor

Old 04-10-2009, 10:06 PM
DodgesForLife24
Banned

If it was your gascap then you would have seen "GASCAP" displayed where your mileage is lol been there, done that!

Idk what they mean but I looked them up incase you wanna read on em...

P0340 is here:

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0340

Then I found this for P0344:

That's intake cam sensor.

P0344 = Camshaft position sensor
'A' circuit intermittant (Bank 1 or single sensor)

'A' circuit is intake side. 'B' circuit is exhaust side.

Hope that helps, I'm sure someone else can explain it more to you....

Old 04-10-2009, 10:23 PM
BAdassR/T
Record Breaker

wow lucky.. last time i saw that code i was rebuilding my engine LOL

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Check engine light time.