3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

06 Dakota Spare Tire Removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 10:15 PM
jgrimm06Dakota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick update, I was able to get the spare tire loaded up with all your help it was actually pretty easy. I wouold hate to do it in the rain though.

As for the towing, thanks for the info. I know what you are saying about them understating what they can actually tow. I am thinking of getting a camper trailer, one of the light weight ones but even they can get up to 4000lbs or more, just wondering if it would be ok. Funny thing is I have a Jeep Commander as well that has a 3.5L V6 and everything I found says they are rated at 3500lbs, they are probably lighter than the truck though so the weight of the trailer can be more.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:53 PM
Cuban11182
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My old man had a 96 dakota V6 2WD automatic and would pull a pop up trailer from NC to myrtle beach frequently with no issues. That was with my mother, father, sister, me and two friends. The Dakota felt it but had no issues.

I think that the heavier weight, combined with the strength of the motor/trans/gearing will ultimatly determine if you can or not. The big thing is the breaking of the truck with the trailer on. Trailers have the tendancey to "push" the tow vehicle when slowing down, so be careful. If you don't already have one, I would suggest a trans cooler to help increase the life of your trans when you are towing. Also, maybe before getting a camper go rent a uhaul and load it up so it weighs about the same as the possible trailer to see how the truck will handle it.

Quick Reply: 06 Dakota Spare Tire Removal