3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Transmission Question/Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 04:17 PM
push2shock
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Question/Problem

Hello everyone. I have a 07 Mitsu Raider, QC, 3.7, auto, 4x4. I have a question about the transmisson at slow speeds. I have seen several posts about trans issues at higher speeds and noticed a thread or two about the torque converters. My problem is a pulse or surging when the truck is barely moving. I notice this every time, not just occasionally. Again, the best way to describe it is a pulse, or surge that can be felt throughout the truck. It's not a miss and it's not a bounce in the suspension. The truck really moves just a little as you feel it pulse. I really notice it at a drive through or waiting in a line of traffic. Took it to the dealer and they were able to duplicate but said "it's normal" and that the dakota's all do it too. I'm not an idiot and I know that this is the standard answer the first few times for most dealers, but I wanted to see if others have experienced this and if so have you been able to remedy. After searching several dodge and mitsu forums I have not been able to find anyone with the problem I describe (making me wonder if it truly is normal) but maybe no one else is as annoyed by it as I am. This looks to be a great forum so I choose to post here for a few responses before going back to the dealer for round two. Thanks for the anticipated help!

Old 10-14-2009, 08:54 AM
push2shock

I'm not sure that a video would show you a whole lot. Although you can feel it, it is subtle. To duplicate it every time all I have to do is: from a complete stop, let off the brake slightly, just enough to move the truck forward a touch, like your in line at a drive through. At this point the truck will "bob" or "bounce" forward. It will stop once the gas is applied or the brake is pressed completely again. I know it doesn't sound like a big deal, but it does it every single time and I really don't think anyone would design a truck to do this. If there is a problem I want it fixed and if this is truly typical then I'll get rid of it. I would really like to know if anyone else experiences this or not. 4 or 5 "no's" would really help me out, or a "yes" and this is what was wrong.

Thanks!

Old 10-14-2009, 12:32 PM
sdsdsd
Captain

No I don't have the problem 05 Quad w 4.7 L

Old 10-14-2009, 12:55 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

No, here and I have a 2007 Ext w/ the 4.7

Old 10-14-2009, 01:40 PM
pack154
Professional

I don't have that issue either but what I would do it take it back to the dealer and have the tech ride with you and show him exactly what it is doing. Then have him drive it with you riding along so he gets a good feel of what is going on. This way there won't be any misunderstanding on duplicating the problem. It definately isn't normal for the truck to do that so there is a problem and it needs to be fixed.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:00 PM
paul05dak
Record Breaker

no issue here like that either. sounds like something is grabbing while in gear and ideling. maybe something a filter/fluid change for your tranny could clear??

Old 10-14-2009, 05:55 PM
popsnbeer
Captain

A few thoughts...probably way off base here though.

First, could it be a warped rotor or sticky brake pads so that when they release a little there is some built up potential energy? (probably not, but maybe a worthwhile look).

Also, what does your engine idle at? Could it be a high idle and therefore when you take your foot off the brake it tends to 'lung' forward?

Just my two cents!

Old 10-14-2009, 06:33 PM
Ueland
Veteran

Originally Posted by popsnbeer
... Also, what does your engine idle at? Could it be a high idle and therefore when you take your foot off the brake it tends to 'lung' forward?

I was thinking the same thing but different direction... I was wondering if the idle was too LOW could it be just barely engaging the torque converter causing it to lunge as it catches intermittently??

also does it just do it to a certain speed? or is it constant untill you touch the accelerator. Do your RPM's surge or do they remain consistent.

A far off guess but its "possible" the abs system is attempting to react as it may think your at a stop however your still getting movement on the wheels.

Quick Reply: Transmission Question/Problem